Thread: I lost my starter pin - what can I use?

I lost my starter pin - what can I use?

I've misplaced the starter pin for my router table.
    Is there something else I can use or do I have to buy one?

Depending on what your use is, you probably don't need one. So long as your hands aren't starting out near the bit. That said, I almost always use one just out of habit and because I have a few laying around. The other guy in my shop uses the table far more than I and I'm not sure he even remembers I've got a few starter pins. I'm sure you could make one with a machine screw and some sort of bushing, but unless you have that sitting in your shop, you're going to have to make a separate trip anyway

As a stop gap method clamp a block of wood to the tabls and use that as a starter pin................Rod.

Just find a bolt that fits, and cut the head off. It's not rocket science.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I think I made one with a machine screw and a plastic sleeve . . . bought from my local hardware store.

31fNYtICGOL._SL500_SS100_.jpg + 2010927151641830.jpg

-Brian

Just find a bolt that fits, and cut the head off. It's not rocket science.
    Prior to the bad experience I had with the trammel & cutting a circle w/my router, I'd have agreed 100%.
    Ever since then though, I've been a bit extra careful to make sure everything is as "gotcha" free as possible.

My main concern w/just cutting the head off a bolt is the threads somehow grabbing at the workpiece.

I learned a hard and valuable lesson that routers can be very unforgiving of any unexpected movement and/or slop.

As Rod said, just clamp a block of wood to the table and use it as a pivot point. I lost mine too and that is what I do.

I think it is scrape send it to me for disposal.

Mine has 1/4-20 threads so I just used a longer bolt that had an unthreaded part, cut off the head and most of the threads, rounded over the top on the grinder and had a perfect starter pin.

If you clamp on a block to use as a pivot point you are better off the closer you get to the bit. You have better control over the piece as you bring it to the bit when the distance from the pivot point is shorter. I would not go closer than the original pin though.

There are many ways to replace the pin. If you have a bolt with the same thread you can drill out a piece of dowel and put the bolt through that if you do not have access to a plastic sleeve as Brian suggested above.