Thread: Wood blocks soaked in diesel fuel for a bandsaw guide

Wood blocks soaked in diesel fuel for a bandsaw guide

Fellow woodworkers,

I have been intrigued by an observation I made during my visit to the other side of the Atlantic this past summer. As I am restoring a SCMI SC600 bandsaw, I inquired about local bandsaw components. I saw almost everyone uses wood blocks (hardwood) soaked in diesel fuel for heavy duty bandsaws in the 600-900 mm range. There is the shaft which has an angle iron attached to it with a wood blocks (1.5" -2.0" square) on each side of the blade with elongated slots and screws. Adjustable as you like. they use the banndsaws for resawing mainly. To the bandsaw attached is a can full of diesel fuel with a brush. They use the diesel fuel as a lubricant. There is a ball bearing behind the blade to provide support. This mechanism is very solid yet I do not know how safe or desirable it is as diesel fuel is smelly (the old off road variety at least ) and flammable to some extent.

Presumably one can use mineral oil as a substitute to the diesel fuel. Considering the Laguna and Carter guides are in the US$300 range, this is a very economical alternative as any machine/home shop would be able to produce it. Has anyone else seen this mechanism? What is your take on it?

Sal.

I use the phenolic blocks on mine. Had 'em for over 15 yrs. without replacing.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've used oak blocks soaked in used motor oil for 30 years. Don't know why diesel wouldn't work, too. Used motor oil is cheaper!
    I have a can of sticks soaking all the time. Rarely have to change, though.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

It takes a bit more effort than you'd think to get diesel fuel going... There's a reason those engines have such high compression ratios!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

5. I use left over pieces of solid surfacing. I have a lifetime supply

I use lignum vitae and I think it's oily enough.

Depends on what you are cutting. If you are resawing as they seem to, how do you get any finish to displace the diesel that will be transferred to your nice wood? Perhaps those who use an oil of any kind will tell you how - me, too!
    Forrest

We used diesel to lube the ways on our moulders and planers...never had any problems with the finished product as it was all cut away in the end. Sacrilege, I know...but it works.
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Bonner View Post
    Depends on what you are cutting. If you are resawing as they seem to, how do you get any finish to displace the diesel that will be transferred to your nice wood? Perhaps those who use an oil of any kind will tell you how - me, too!
    Forrest
    I think diesel or oil as some people use, will be planed away and it seems it does not penetrate the wood much.

Ah but the important question: Is it safe to burn the blocks in your campfire once they wear out?

now that made me laugh hehe