Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So at 12volt tool is actually 10.8????

So at 12volt tool is actually 10.8????

Reminds me of air compressors.

How many tool makers 12 volt tools are only 10.8?

My source of information.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx1gc...eedwll&list=WL
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

how many 12 volt ? , I gave up , how many , possible the same as 14.2 car battery passing their selves off as 12 volt

I just went out and measured my 12v Milwaukee batteries.

Right from the charger = 12.76
    Was take out of the charger last night = 12.59
    From the drill that I have been using = 11.66

So I am not sure where he is getting that the 12v tools are still only 10.8

Some of the newer DeWalt tools are claiming to be 12v when they are really 10.8.

according to the salesman said , I am guessing that his battery are call 9 volt but do produce 10,8 volt

For Nicad (Ni-Cd) and Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries the voltage is always a multiple of 1.2V, the nominal voltage of a single cell- a 12V battery has 10 cells, a 14.4 V battery has 12, an 18V battery has 15, etc., etc.

The nominal voltage for a Lithium Ion cell is 3.6V/3.7V

Standard Zinc-Carbon or Alkaline battery cells have a nominal voltage of 1.5V.

Different batteries can put out different voltages under load and when they start to wear out. For instance the average voltage under load of a alkaline battery depends on discharge and varies from 1.1 to 1.3 V. A fully discharged cell has a remaining voltage in the range of 0.8 to 1.0 V.

Lead acid car batteries have a no-load voltage of 12.6V to 12.8V but are typically charged at 14.2 to 14.5 volts. That quickly drops to 13.2 V and then slowly to 12.6 V.

More than you ever wanted to know, huh?
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 09-16-2011 at 11:52 PM.

If you notice the Dewalt line is called 12 volt MAX. I guess a tool marked just 12 volt is a true 12 volt pack.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    This has been chewed over bit. Not as bad as router or shop-vac rating systems but, it is discussed that someone got the great idea that since 10.8 lithiums (3 x 3.6volt batteries) will show a peak of 12v, they'd call the that. Anyone who has seen a Porsche with a Volkswagen badge over in Europe can relate to the curious sensation. Be that as it may, I still call routers 2-1/4HP and Vacs 6HP. It is the jargon of our area of interest.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-16-2011 at 11:49 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just like stereo systems that tell you they are 50W peak, and in tiny print they tell you it is 8 watts RMS which is really the true wattage. Or the shop vacs that tell you they are 5HP but operate on 120vac. 120vac will develop just under 2 true HP on a 15 amp circuit.

It is just a marketing hype to make you think that you are getting more than you really are.

Taken from DeWalt Spec's on Amazon ..

The maximum initial voltage on 12-volt max batteries (measured without a workload) is 12-volts. Measured under a workload, nominal voltage is 10.8.

The battery can be charged to 12 V .. or even slightly above, in application, it delivers 3.6V per cell or 10.8 V .. The 12V is basically marketing ..

There are many different types of Lion batteries, at various costs. Some will last longer than others and failures are starting to occur at an impressive rate.

Last edited by Rick Fisher; 09-17-2011 at 4:34 AM.

If your 12 volt tool uses lithium-ion batteries, it may well be only 10.8 volts. They use 3 3.6 volt cells wired in series. That equals 10.8 volts. Fully charged, with no load the cells will read a little over their rated voltage. Just add in the "Craftsman Effect" and you now have a 12 volt tool.

John

The little Bosch drivers, which I think started the trend, were originally marketed as 10.8V. When everyone starting doing the same thing, but labeling them 12V, they suddenly changed and became 12V. Funny, because they still use the same batteries & chargers...

I do agree that they are really 10,8v batteries but what I will say is the things are great. I don't know how they design the motors to work like they do but they really work great.

Milwaukee has a new larger battery you can get that last twice a long they say but to date I have just not seen the need for one yet.

I have a 14v Dewalt drill but I reach for the little Milwaukee 99% of the time and it does the job I need.

Just like everyone has said, that 6 hp shop vac on a 120v system, right.......

I'm pretty sure that Eric is correct. The original Bosch Pocket drivers were sold as 10.8 volt, but when Milwaukee brought out it's line of compact tools....12v. So, bowing to the marketing ploy that 12v must be better, Bosch switched their newer versions to 12v "Max". Purely marketing BS.

They even went so far as to start discounting the 10.8v stuff. I have a few different tools from that line and the batteries are all the same, except for the voltage stickers of course.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Anyone who has seen a Porsche with a Volkswagen badge over in Europe can relate to the curious sensation.
    Never seen that, but I have seen plenty the other way round. 914, 924, 944, 968, all were rooted in VW designs.

I suppose you could call a Beetle a Porsche in VW clothes, but Ferdi hadn't set himself up at that stage.