Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Skunk broke the Sawstop! (sort of)

Angry A Skunk broke the Sawstop! (sort of)

How a skunk broke my Sawstop (indirectly!) ...

So there I was with the fix it list and I was sent into the yard to patch the holes in the fence where a skunk family was breaking through. One of the cuts required me to remove my Incra TS-LS positioner, which I carefully did... Ok - fence work done!!! Time to clean up the shop....

And then the hell began... (you have to read this fast to recreate the sense of exasperation I had as each thing went wrong in quick succession)

The Incra slipped or moved or something as I was replacing it and then the fence hold down springs started popping out and then the attachment arm got stuck when I was pushing it back into the clamping frame (I missed the guides) and then I had to disassemble the clamping lever to loosen the arm and then the back hold fence spring moved out of position and ... well you get the picture...

So I took a breather to slow my pulse/cursing rate down and came back later to finish cleaning the shop....Only to find a rubber component of some kind under the saw stop...

But from where? And will the saw start emitting smoke if I turn it on again next time???

So my request to all y'all - can someone help me identify this thing and where it comes from...??? (I looked in the relevant manuals at the exploded drawings but I couldn't find it.)

It comes from one of the following:
    1) Saw stop pro 3.0 HP or 2) Saw stop Industrial mobile base or 3) saw stop over arm dust extractor or 4) Incra 32" TS-LS positioner...

It is about 3" long, "U" shaped and seems to have glue residue on the inside - I have attached some pictures to help solve the mystery... It reminds me of a blade guard or edge protector - something you may put over a sharp edge to protect it, but I could be completely wrong!

Frustratingly yours in Canada (but thankfully not skunk sprayed)...

Malcolm

PocketPiece3.JPGPocketPiece2.JPGPocketPiece.JPG

That was my take, Malcolm.. Have you looked carefully for either an exposed sheet metal edge or more of the same? It doesn't have to be sheet metal but likely something sharp.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Cut it into 5 or 6 pieces and stick a short piece onto each skunk's nose like a clothes pin . . . you know, . . . to stop them from smelling. . . wow, its early.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It looks like it should fit on the Incra but I just looked over mine (closely, I think) and found nothing resembling that piece. Might it have been 'hiding' there from another tool in the shop??

Good rule of thumb, if its too small for a part number don't worry about it. lol

So you just had me down on my knees looking at the bottom of my SS I am guessing that is a sheet metal edge protector of some kind but could not find something similar. It's also not part of the industrial base, over arm guard or LS-TS. It's definitely not something that should cause concern.

What should cause concern though is that you are removing your LS-TS from your SS for a fence repair. I mean I like things perfect too but please tell me why you didn't just use a circ saw and save yourself the trauma.

If you really want to know what it goes too...throw it away. In about a weeks time you'll figure out where it goes

Looks like an edge protector of some sort though.

Hi Malcom,

I have the same setup as you, minus the over-arm dust extractor, and that piece does not look familiar. I even just went down to look things over. Didn't look inside the saw though.

Mike

Hmmmm.... a pocket part quite possibly from a completely different tool in the shop - I will follow up with the manufacturer on Monday and let y'all know what I find out...

The reason I think it may be "important" is the glue residue - there is a reason for that glue I think...

@Kevin Stricker - the saw stop was set up and ready, the dust vac was attached, ready to go. The circular saw would have to be retrieved from the shelf, unpacked, plugged in, then the work bench set up for cross cut etc.etc. I was just lazy is all.

Looks like an edge protector from a car door.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Place it on a shelf carefuly and remember where it is. As long as you can see it every day you will never need it again. As soon as it gos out with the trash EVERY tool in the shop will fall apart, your car will have a flat, the dog/cat will die, lawnmower will not start, and you will be stricken with anal leakage and gout. For God sake save that part!

DO you have the SS mobile base?
    It looks like the protector for where the jack pedal hits the lowering pedal on the base. there is heavy guage sheet metal that is bent into an upside down U shape that makes up the jack pedal. there are two of these (one on each tip of the U). it prevents metal on metal contact when raising and lowering the saw. One of mine falls off from time to time.

Good luck,
    NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    DO you have the SS mobile base?
    It looks like the protector for where the jack pedal hits the lowering pedal on the base.
    Yep, that's it. Mine falls off too. I'm sure if you lost it, nothing serious will happen.

Nick and Kyle are correct - Diagram included

I called Saw Stop to confirm. It is a new rubber bumper underneath the foot pedal, meant to prevent the foot pedal damaging the jack release lever. It was only introduced recently to the production run, and therefore does not appear on the exploded diagram or parts list.

For the benefit of everyone else I have attached a diagram of where it fits - please see where I have highlighted in red. The are two - one for each side of the foot pedals "U" shape.

regards
    Malcolm
    Location.JPG

Hmm, I must not have the industrial mobile base. Mine doesn't look anything like that. Sorry -

Mike