Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut & Plywood ornaments

Nice ornaments Curt. And thanks for the reminder that it's ornament season again. So much for the other projects!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

All are very nice. I just wish I had time to start something like that.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    These are really neat! Great contrast with the chosen woods and the form is great, too.

Any chance on getting a quick tutorial on how they were pieced together? I'm not looking to copy them but just trying to give me some new ideas for my own ornaments!
    Doug, you can trust me that if it's not simple I can't do it. These are just two strips of walnut 1" wide by 1/2" thick. I glued a 1" wide strip of 1/8" birch plywood between them. Then after the glue dries I cut them on a 45 degree angle on a power miter saw. If you get the angle just right you can glue them right up. But I'm usually just a hair off so I glue 2 pieces together to make 2 halves, sand the inside surface of each half to get them straight and then glue the two halves together. You end up with a square that I hold in the jaws of my chuck to round them off and drill and hollow the inside. Then I mount them between two cone shaped bushings on a pen mandrel to turn the outside shape. Here's a link to turning the ornaments, a little different style, but basically the same process.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?98860-Quickie-Ornament-Instructions

Vary nice Curt !!!!! Thats the nice thing about turning wood it just never gets boring!!!
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

very attractive decorations

Ya know Curt every year I look forward to seeing what kind of ornaments you will turn out, these are great as always!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I'm really looking forward to turning ornaments this year, and always look forward to seeing the ornaments you (and several others) make. My biggest challenge is NOT to copy yours, because they're always so appealing and tend to stick in my head! Thanks for sharing...I promise, if I do subconsciously copy, they won't be nearly as nice.
    Dan