Thread: Cutting card scraper/saw blades help?

Cutting card scraper/saw blades help?

I have decided to try my hand at making profiles such as small beads using scratch stock. I am going to try and make a small bead for a project my girlfriend is working on. I saw a nice tutorial on using scratch stock for this and a nice little holder for the blade. I would love to see other people's holder's or beading tools as well.

My problem lies in cutting a small square peice of card scraper stock or a peice off an old saw. What is the best method in cutting some spring steel without losing its' temper and getting a nice flat square peice. Sorry if this question has been asked and seems noobish but this scratch stock business is completely new to me.

I made mine from an old panel gauge/scribe. I just cut a kerf and it fits tight, but the screw really cinches it in. I have about six profiles and cut the blanks with tin snips from an old Disston. The profile shown needs some work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by john brenton; 09-18-2011 at 4:28 PM.
    It's sufficiently stout..

So tin snips will cut through the stock without too much trouble and without bending the peice? I also thought about a dremel tool with a cutting disc.

I use a Dremel tool and a cutoff wheel. I never thought about trying tin snips.
    Fine Woodworking had an article in their August edition about scratch stock.
    That is what got me started.

score then snap!

If it's thick spring steel, I score it with a Dremel

and then hold the work piece in a vise right at the cut line. While wearing heavy leather gloves I just snap it off.
    Dominic Greco

I've used snips to cut a web for a few bow saws and never had a problem with it. A piece for scratch is small and there isn't much to it. The steel is so soft that flattening it would not be a problem even if it did matter.
    It's sufficiently stout..

I use my old 3/4" band saw blade for beading & cut it up with a sheet metal shear. Scraper steel may be a little thicker but I don't think that would be an issue.

Score and snap. Just use the gloves to protect the paws.
    When grinding, keep the workpiece cool so as not to waste the temper.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

When I had to make some beading profiles I used a drill press to make the rounded parts. I just had to find a bit the appropriate diameter.

We have a sheet metal shear at work, I love it for this, clean edges and very easy for repeat cuts. Is there a trade school or a shop nearby that could cut some for you?
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Hoang View Post
    I use my old 3/4" band saw blade for beading & cut it up with a sheet metal shear. Scraper steel may be a little thicker but I don't think that would be an issue.
    Hi Tony

This is the answer I would have given you as well. For beading I cut up an old 3/4" bandsaw blade. This size is very useful - it also fits perfectly into most beaders, including the Stanley/LN.

Regards from Perth

Derek