Thread: Looking for a special tool?

Looking for a special tool?

Need to be able to hollow out the back side of a cut or guess it would be a bead. I need to hollow the back side out and its on a piece between 1" and 3/4" round. What I'm making is a master part that will be used to form a part in a Plastic mold. Any ideals what would work best for this? The concave would be cut about 1/8th Inch in on this.
    This is somewhat like cutting out rings that are loose on a piece. But just cut the back out and leave the front tapered back also or flare it back and the back side under cut. Hope I make this clear?
    Pete

Maybe you could scan and post a sketch?

"The best things in life are not things."

Pete
    If I'm understanding you correctly how about a allen wrench with the short end ground to the depth of the ring and then flattened into a scraper. You should be able to hook it into the area and scrap out the wood.
    Just my $.02
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I haven't seen such a tool and I bet you are going to have to fabricate it out of some kind of right angle bent tool. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    Pete
    If I'm understanding you correctly how about a allen wrench with the short end ground to the depth of the ring and then flattened into a scraper. You should be able to hook it into the area and scrap out the wood.
    Just my $.02
    WOW thanks your 2 cents was just what I needed. I was thinking of everything but the this.
    Guess this is my lucky weekend. Bought a 1956 Delta 1460 16 speed lathe yesterday off Craigslist. It does not have the factory legs and table. So I will have to build a table for it. But it will best what I have been using for the last 10 years..
    Again thanks for the fast answer. Will turn it out tomorrow and get the mold made. Then post some pictures of the finished product.
    Pete

The tool you're looking for is probably referred to as a ring tool. They're used to make captured rings for goblets and such. You can easily make one from an old file, but they're also sold through many wood turning dealers.

146222.jpg
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey