Thread: First accident in 30+ years of woodworking

First accident in 30+ years of woodworking

Last night, I was power carving a bowl with my Foredom and started to change the carving bit. I had the wrench attached and was just about to insert the locking pin when I accidentally stepped right down on the footpad. The wrench on the collet started spinning instantly at about 10,000 RPM with the locking pin still attached at the other end of a chain that holds the two together. It whipped the back of my left hand many times, breaking the chain across my knuckles before I knew what happened, and hard enough to break that chain in many bits. I found pieces of it this morning all over, but still have not found the locking pin. My hand was cut in several places and quite swollen. It’s very sore, but fortunately nothing broke and it should be back to normal in a week or two.
    I learned from this experience that is is definitely safer to unplug the tool before changing bits. It would have saved me time in the long run and I'd be carving tonight instead of writing this...

2. Jim..........thank you for sharing this with us...........too many accidents, and all are as you have stated avoidable. I am glad your injuries are not more serious than they are. God speed for a fast recovery!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jim,
    Thanks for sharing this. I hope you recover quickly.

Glad it wasn't worse! Thanks for sharing! Hope you heal quickly and completely!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Get well soon!

Thanks for making us remember how easy it is to get hurt. I too am very bad about not unplugging things when I should.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Heal quickly. Thanks for sharing and reminder.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Another reason I don't like foot controls. I retired mine, and replaced it with a more convenient and safer tabletop control that I don't loose in shavings or accidentally touch with my foot.

Thanks for sharing but most of all thank God for a small injury.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Reminds me of the time I saw the shop steward runnin' across the shop. Some nut had left the chuck wrench in the BIG metal lathe after removing a workpiece. He chomped on the dummy's a$$ for a while. He also asked him if he had ever seen what shrapnel can damage.
    Good point, and well made.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Jim heal quickly

I was out looking at replacing mine today. The variable speed one has an OFF switch so that would help. Plus I usually run it full bore anyway, so variable speed is not much of an issue to me.
    My hand is getting better by the day and though still very tender and stiff, the cuts are healing nicely. I sure don't want to do anything like that again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Leslie View Post
    I was out looking at replacing mine today. The variable speed one has an OFF switch so that would help. Plus I usually run it full bore anyway, so variable speed is not much of an issue to me.
    My hand is getting better by the day and though still very tender and stiff, the cuts are healing nicely. I sure don't want to do anything like that again!
    How are you going to make a movie about your accident if you do not go thru. the whole mess again , GET WELL QUICK

Once was *more* than enough!
    It's getting better fast now though..