Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Informal poll question...

Informal poll question...

I am soon to turn 44 years old and was wondering how old most of my online turning friends are? If you don't mind the question, as well as how long have you been turning, and when did you start? I took no classes in school and had to be talked into my first lathe. Thanks to my wife being a pen FREAK that got the ball rolling and 4 lathes later here I am. I started 3 years ago this month with a cheap, and I mean no name on the machine, lathe. I later gave it away to a friend that is less fortunate. Anyhow that is my story and I hope to hear yours.

Russell,

I am Also 44 turning 45 next month and started when I got a lathe for fathers day when I was 41. So we are about the same.

Alan

Russell, I am 62, and started turning in October 2009 with a set of table legs. The first "dish" was turned in late December 2009. It has been a fun ride!

I am 64, retired and started turning 6 yrs. ago needing to turn columns for a grandfather clock. I started with a Delta LA 200. Now I have a Nova DVR XP and Jet 1220. Like you I have had no classes other than demo's I have watched at Woodcraft or Symposiums. Learning has been with DVD's and books.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Coming up on 52 in November and started turning pen in 2000. I'm self taught, and a little surprised I survived that process, but still refer to DVD's or whatever learning material is around as often as possible!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Russell - I am 59, self-taught and at the end of next month I will have been turning for 7 years. Started with a Craftsman mono-tube lathe and used it for 2 years. Upgraded to a Jet 1642 2hp and am in the process of doing a final upgrade to a Robust American Beauty. The Jet is an outstanding lathe and I am going to continue to use it. The Robust will allow me to turn larger items and I don't see ever having to upgrade again!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

7. Russell,

I am 53, and have been turning for 10 years or so. Started with a Jet1236, and then upgraded to a Oneway 2436 after 2 years. Totally self taught. I've gleaned much good information off of various DVD's through the years.

Roger

66 years old. First turning was a candle stand at a evening class at the local high school in 1973. First lathe was a AMT with thin tubing for the ways. 5 lathes latter I'm turning on a 3520. I've seen a lot of demos and DVDs, but never took an actual turning class. Have taught quite a few turners. Retired teacher,football and wrestling coach
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Wow, Steve S. and I have a lot in common. (no offense, Steve.......... I am 57, started turning in 2006 after my dad showed me a bottle stopper that a Greensboro, NC turner had done. I had a Craftsman tube lathe, which was replaced with a little Rikon, and I turned on it until my wife got me a Jet 1642-2 for Christmas. No "formal" training, but lots of internet perusal, DVD's, etc. I also gave away my tube lathe...........

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I'm 24 years old and have been turning since the beginning of the year as much and school and what not will allow. Getting sucked into the vortex at such a young age really makes me worry when I look at a lot of you...how am I ever going to pay back student loans??

I'm 43 turning 44 this year. Started turning 3 years ago when I wanted to make the legs for a windsor chair. Turned to bowls after an ice storm left us with lots of free material.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

12. Started around 2003, I am 57 and my first lathe was a Craftsman 15"Vs.........which broke the gear shaft, had to buy my present lathe........ a Grizzly G0698 18/47 vs lathe. Totally self taught.....have learned much from the folks on this forum, and also my local club when watching demos.

I watched Norm Abrams ......[New Yankee Workshop] turn table legs, etc. and said to myself........."I can do that!"

My first 4 years or so was just about all spindle turning......table legs etc. as part of my woodworking when building furniture, but I made my first bowl in December 2008...........I sure miss flatwork!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 09-20-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I'm 60 and started turning in January of this year. Don't have enough money, time or space for this great hobby/craft, though.
    Allen

66 years old. Started late fall 2008 with a home made spring pole lathe and made 9 rolling pins. 3/09, moved up to a Nova 16-2444. Self taught with DVD resources. Also do flat work.
    C&C WELCOME

Okay, I'm the old guy in just about any group. I bought my first lathe when I was 15 and that was in 1936. Guess that means that I've been turning for 75 years. Still learning how. Oh yeah...I'm 90 years old.

I started with the cheapest little lathe that Sears sold. They didn't even call it a Craftsman..it was a Dunlop. I've gone through 8 lathes since then, each one bigger and better than the last one. My present, and I'm sure, my last lathe, is a big Oneway.

Woodturning has been a wonderful lifelong hobby and I'm still at it. Turning and teaching others to turn.
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 09-20-2011 at 5:22 PM.