Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Informal poll question...

48. Inherited a mid 70's Delta lathe that sat in the back of my garage / shop for a long time, until Nov. 2008 when I glued a couple of pieces of wood together and made a vase. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, and really lucky I didn't hurt myself (but the vase turned out pretty nice). Kind of figured out segmented turning by myself and did that before I ever tried to turn a solid log. Eventually took a couple of classes to learn how to turn properly. The rest, as they say, is history...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I am 32 and I think I bought my Grizzly 0462 in 2008. Sold it and currently have a PM 90, Delta 46-460, South Bend wood lathe, and a 7x10 metal lathe. Never use the SB and the PM sits idle most of the time. Want to sell them and get a larger metal lathe. Never been to a wood turning class or demo but would like to.
    David

I am 72 this month. I have been turning off and on close to 30 years. I have been turning more seriously the last 10 years mostly after retiring. I turn some on a treadle lathe which was up and running for about a year. I started with a ATM when I thought I wanted to turn but gave it up. I bought a ShopSmith to do woodworking with and did some turning and got hooked on turning. Got me a Jet mini lathe turned a lot of pieces on it. Now I have a Grizzly G0632. I turn some everyday.
    Cecil

I wasn't going to comment 'till Wally spoke up. I'll be 71 in Mar and turned my first table lamp in 1957. I got serious about 35 years ago when none of the other hobby's I tried satisfied. I found the lathe solved my creative urge and provided me with some of the best friendships I have ever found. Wood turners are just great people!

i am 61, went to what i thought was a flatwork class at artisan center, turned out to be woodturning, i and others in the class set up the lathes from the box, brand new, delta's with reeves drive and a couple jet mini. that was in fall 2005 i believe. i am on my 2nd lathe, jet 1642 and trying to give it a good workout. i enjoy symposium , turning different woods, and trying to see something in the wood. time spent in the instant galleries seeing what others have been up to has always been time well spent.

started my sophmore year in high school and im 21.

Cool thread!
    I'm 49 and started turning 1 year ago. I inherited my dad's shop tools (all brand new) when he passed in 2003, and the tools sat in storage for 7 years until I was able to finally get a shop (albeit on wheels) to move them to. I don't consider myself a very patient person, but I guess waiting 7 years shows a little bit of patience! In my short 1 year of turning, I think I have actually crammed in about 3 years worth lol.
    Enjoying the ride and looking forward to many more years of turning!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I am 47 years young. I took my first shop class in 7th grade in the late 1977-78. I continued taking shop through Jr and High school including being teacher shop aid. In college, more shop classes. In 2000-2001 decided on turning as a hobby so I bought a Jet Mini Lathe knowing it was a work horse. I still use this lathe for smaller projects and it is great! 2003-2004 I was able to purchase an Oneway 1640 and later got the outboard extension. I am very pleased with this lathe and never looked back. As time progresses my pieces tend to be smaller in shape and form. A vacuum system is a very nice add on to any turner’s equipment. I have taken classes with Ray Key x2, Jimmy Clewes, John Jordon, to name a few and I would recommend taking classes from top instructors. I wish I had more time to be in the shop... Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I am 70 and started turning about 3 years ago. I did flatwork for over 40 years and thought turning wood was for sissies until is saw some segmented pieces which intrigued me. Took a 1 day class at Woodcraft and was hooked. Started out on a minilathe and now have a PM. I visit several turning forums but must say I find this one the most informative. THANKS ALL!

I'm 49 and have been turning for about 2 years. I started with a JET 1236 though recently upgraded to a PM3520b. Mostly self taught but did take a 4 day class at John Campbell Folk School this year which was a great experience and plan on trying to do that yearly. I have been fully sucked into the vortex and love following this as well as several other forums and love learning from all the incredibly creative artists out there. Now all I need is a bit more shop time...

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this "poll". I enjoyed reading all the responses and have learned that I am not the only one that has learned a lot from this forum, and by trial and error. Some times is was MUCH more error than trial. Thanks again Russell

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Funny how all of engage turning on different levels, isn't it? Some people love the orderliness and geometry of segmented turning, while others (like me) are drawn to natural edges and barky surfaces. The hollow form turners seem to have an innate ability to cut wood blind, and that's not something many people are even willing to try. And then there's that group of people who turn pens and bottle stoppers, which is a very specialized and creative art form all it's own. Some of us make practical and functional pieces, and others are strictly whimsical. We all turn, but there are a wide-range of styles.

What I'm reading here is that there is a remarkable number of late-bloomers and people who started turning on a whim, and not many of us set out to become wood-turners. It seems that we just "found ourselves" in the craft, mostly.

I come Sawmill Creek to exchange technology and to get inspiration, and I appreciate the group very much. Thanks.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I am 77 years old, been turning for 15 yrs. Started-ou on an old Delta 12" lathe then built a rather large lathe. Turned on it for 5 yrs, sold it to a friend and bought a 750 Stubby. Life is good.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

I am 66 and do not want to get any older. Picked up my first lathe in 1972, a AMT that was more work the fun. Soon after that pickup a Rockwell 46-111, still turning on it today. Pushing it way pass it limits. Going to put some riser blocks on it, and better speed control, or replace it. Had one class in all this time with Rude Osolnik, back in the early 80's, a great instructor. Wood turning takes second place to furniture that the kids need for there homes. Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 09-21-2011 at 1:54 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm 56 now. Started kind of turning with a $19.95 lathe ordered from the back of Popular Mechanics magazine in 1975, you supply the washing machine motor. In 1982 I move up (?) to a Shopsmith and turned spindles and stuff. June 2010, I got into serious turning, that is caught by the "vortex". Enter the Jet 1642 EVS-2. I've never been the same since.
    Reading all these posts, reminded me......my first lathe maybe at 7 or 8 was a Mattel Power Shop. Not certain if I actually turned anything successfully.
    Just for giggles I included pictures of the AMT and Power Shop for those who want to be reminiscent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 09-21-2011 at 5:46 PM.