Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some finished pics of my attached garage workshop, built from the ground-up

Some finished pics of my attached garage workshop, built from the ground-up

I recently had my cousin take some decent photographs of my garage workshop so I could enter it in a magazine contest. ( I don't know if the moderators would allow me to post a lik to the contest or mention it) I thought some here might like to see the pics he took, since they're way better than anything I could take.

I think it's a pretty neat building and it's somewhat unique in that it has barn doors on two sides. The town wouldn't let me build anything bigger than 17x20, so I had to be creative and multi purposed about how I put the garage together for best effect, which necessitated the multiple doors. I put one set of doors on the short side to let cars drive all the way in, and those doors are 8'-3" tall, (since I used to have a healthy addiction building lifted jeeps), and I put one set of 6' doors on the long side to let cars partially into the garage and still have room on either side for engine cranes or axles for large item swap outs. I'm sure anyone who's dangled an AMC 360 with an iron manifold knows you want to give those beasts a lot of margin for swing. My back still aches thinking of moving around dressed front Dana 60's (but I digress) It's doesn't really matter, the shop is pretty much a dedicated wood shop now.

here's a shot of the "front" of the garage:

The upper dormer is curved like an old eyebrow window roof. Not really that big of a deal to make, all I really did was laminate three 2x10's together and trace a curve on them that I had drawn full scale on my basement floor. Once the header is built, everything else falls into place on it's own. The neat divided light windows I was able to scrounge on ebay. I still remember the winning bid of $1450. I had drive out to the middle of PA to get them in the dead of night, and it was a cash deal at a semi-abandoned self-storage yard. I paid the guy in front of my truck's headlights with my wife behind the wheel with explicit instructions to run me and the other guy down if she saw the guy pull a weapon. (It's not just me, most engnineers are paranoid.)
    Here's a shot of the "end" of the garage:

The doors are HEAVY and fully insulated. Outside face is a full sheet of 3/4" plywood with 1x trim panels. The interior frame is flat 2x4's with ridigd foam infill. The interior face is just 1/2" rough plywood. The windows I made myself. They're just single pane glass in wood fixed panels. Interesting thing about these doors is that they (and the trusses) were built on faith before I ever had a building variance or a permit. It took me 14 months of working with the town to get the permit, so I had some time to kill. Still, storing 300 lb doors can be troublesome when you don't have a garage to put them in I really wanted carraige doors, but the pricing on them is beyond insane. I built these for about $300/pair, and that includes the massive strap hinges.
    Here's a shot of both doors open, and your first look at the inside.

Here's a shot of the inside of the garage, standing on the staircase in the rear corner and looking at the two sets of doors from the inside. You can see the trusses that hold up the storage loft and provide frame support for the structure. You wouldn't believe how easy the trusses are to make. They're just a common gusset plate mass produced on a table saw, a few 2x6's, and some higher end cabinet mounting screws. Cost per truss was about $40 each. Each truss spaced at 4' was designed to take 50 pounds per square foot from the above loft and a 1000 lb point load from any vertical strut point on the truss (never know when you're gonna have to dangle a whole car). The Christmas lights I just added for fun.

and here's another shot from the opposite corner looking at the long side. You can see the staircase and the table saw a little better. If you look in the back corner, you can see the red cabinets over the workbench modules. They're acutally just old 1950's metal kitchen cabinets that I got for free off a trash heap and then repainted. I can't believe how heavy duty these things are, they make the craftsman/Gladiator stuff feel like junk.
    Because the shop is small, everything rolls, even the table saw. The four workbench modules were built to the same height as the table saw so I can orbit them around the saw and use them as infeed and outfeed tables for cutting 4x8 plywood and other sheet goods, or they can be arranged in a square or pairs to act as a supplementary assembly table. Each unit also serves a specific purpose; One holdes all my drills and drill bits, but also serves as planer stand, one is a 2.5 HP router table with a built-in router lift and stores my routers underneath, one has a stationary belt sander built into it with dust collection, and one used to hold a 6" jointer with dust collection. I recently upgraded to a floor standing jointer, and the workbench unit will be repurposed/upgraded to a downdraft table when I get time to do so.
    The table saw side table was upgraded with drawers and bench vise, since I really don't have room for a seperate work bench. It also has a rack for my handplanes and chisels.

You can kind of see that each truss is supported by a PT 6x6 post (except for the ones over the doors). The primary structure of the garage is timber framed, and each post sits on a 3.5' deep concrete caisson. I'm a firm believer in post-and-beam construction and that it's the cheapest and most structurally sound way of building a structure. I saved thousands on foundation excavation and when you're working alone or in small numbers, piece framing a large wall is a lot easier than tipping it up.
    I don't have any real pictures of the loft yet because it's a disaster up there. I have old tool storage, bookshelves full of auto and furniture books, and a lot of wood that I've, er.. "liberated" from a life crane dunnage or bridge work platforms including a large number of heart-free white oak 6x6's that I can't bring myself to use yet.

thanks for looking!

Nice garage. I must admit though, it looks like you have a serious warping problem with everything in your shop.... Those trusses almost make a C shape!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Nice shop. Looks like you did a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Nice garage. I must admit though, it looks like you have a serious warping problem with everything in your shop.... Those trusses almost make a C shape!

yeah, the bottom chord of the trusses are arched and the top is flat. it buys a bit more head room in the middle and beefs up the structure at the ends where the bending forces are highest. It's also a lot stiffer becuase the wood is "sprung" and therefore more taut, much like the curved teak deck boards on a a wooden boat.

Very cool shop. The exterior detailing and divided light windows really make for an impressive look. Love the arched dormer, brackets and the dentil mould above the doors.

Does that white door next to your tall doors open up to an existing porch? The columns and brackets in the left of that 3rd photo are interesting. I didn't realize the trusses were curved. I thought it was from the wide angle lens. I'm assuming you did the truss design yourself. The curves on the inside should have a pleasant look and feel.

Really really nice!! Post back when you win the contest!

Kerry

Gorgeous building!

Very nicely done!

A bit more information on the trusses, if you could. Did you calculate for the design or follow other guidance? I have a project where something similar may be of use.

The white door does open to the porch so I don't have to run back and forth between the house and the shop in the rain.

Truss designs were done by me. There's a lot of good design info out there on trusses, and you can check/cheat by using a variety of modelling software. The curves doo look cool from inside and make a good bit of headroom for overhead air reels and long lumber storage.

I calculated the design myself. There a number of very good references out there you can get fairliy inexpensively like the National Design Standards for Wood Construction (industry referred to as the NDS) and the US Forestry Service also has a decent timber design manual. I'm sure you could pick either up on eBay for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post

yeah, the bottom chord of the trusses are arched and the top is flat. it buys a bit more head room in the middle and beefs up the structure at the ends where the bending forces are highest. It's also a lot stiffer becuase the wood is "sprung" and therefore more taut, much like the curved teak deck boards on a a wooden boat.
    Seriously? I was joking... I thought it was a fish eye lens effect. Very cool....
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Very nice work! Really like the building.

Very nice shop.

Beautiful shop! The little "twinkly lights" are something you don't see everyday

Beautifully done. The trim work on the outside and the eyebrow roof are exceptional.

I'd love to see some more pictures of your modules and a few without the fisheye lens.