Thread: Paul Zunyan

Paul Zunyan

I found this lump of "dunno" burl in the local wood dump. Though I might try something that was not sitting on a stick for a change of pace. Not too serious... just for fun. The first one I have hollowed out by "hand and feel" since the laser in my Monster rig has crapped again.

pauls_onion.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Looks good to me. I like fat bottoms forms and the coloring makes this one special.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Great looking chunk of wood. The overall piece makes me think of something old and desolate for some reason...but in a good way.

And oh do I wince every time I hear one of you guys say something about a "wood dump". As a starving college student...I have to admit that it fills me a with jealousy.

David, I dunno what it is either, but you did it proud! Really a pleasant form, and the coloring on the wood is very unusual - much more dark area around the outside edge of the burl. Beautiful piece that is full of character! Nice change of pace for you!

Neat piece of work! I like this form, and you really made the most of the color variations. The dark coloring reminds me of walnut, but that's an awful lot of sapwood for walnut.

DD
    You done good. That is a really nice piece, the shape is just perfect for that piece of wood. That is called stoping at the perfect time no more "one more cut" just stop were the wood tells you. Your getting very good at this.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

David,
    i'm pretty sure you could make anything look great and this piece of unknown burl is no exception

while i have no desire to make the types of pieces you are famous for , every single time i see one of your pieces i just want to go turn some stuff and see what i can find inside a chunk of wood

it seems so inadequate but THANKS!!!

Really nice David. Love the form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

lots of character, thanks for sharing David

Don't have a clue what that wood could be,but the formal name for that form is "bag of sand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    Don't have a clue what that wood could be,but the formal name for that form is "bag of sand!"
    Maybe... But Keith Burns said "bag of old gold coins" and I like that better!
    David DeCristoforo

Cool looking piece David! I agree with the "bag of old gold coins" and I like the form and the wood is pretty cool too! Reminds me of Texas Ebony with the yellow and black.
    tx ebony blank1b.jpgebony1b.jpg ebony5b.jpg
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I find the slumpy shape pleasing & relaxing..and I like the colors..

DD I like the form and the wood. Don't have a clue as to what it is.
    I guess I'm the only person who doesn't know who Paul Zunyan is.

"...I guess I'm the only person who doesn't know who Paul Zunyan is...."

Sorry, Fred. It's just my weird immature mind at work. See, I thought it looked like an onion. Then I thought it was a pretty big onion.... like an onion Paul Bunyan would have. And then.... well, you get the idea....
    David DeCristoforo