Thread: Sorby micro hollowing tool

Sorby micro hollowing tool

After looking at Curt's ornament thread, I came to the realization that I'd like to try to make a few ornaments this year. As it stands, I only have larger hollowing tools, so in looking around I found this set:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ollowing?Args=

Does anyone have any experience with it? It seems to be a fairly decent value. I know that I could make something out of an allen wrench or other material but at this point I think I'd rather be lazy and order a tool (or tools).

I have one and have seen a knockoff as a reasonable price. I am at a loss for the name. I have seen a add for them in the turning magazines.

As soon as you mentioned that, I remembered them as well. I think these are the ones:

http://store.mannyswoodworkersplace.com/gl4pmomihose.html

B
    ut, for this price, it seems I might as well go Sorby.

I have a set I have used for a few ornaments, and they do a good job. I don't use the boring tool, but the round nose scraper and the hollowing tool make quick work of small jobs. the only thing I didn't like was the sharp knurling on the handle. Ended up using some sandpaper on it to dull the points on the knurling and make it more comfortable to hold.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I bought the Gladstone version at SWAT for about $25 if I recall correctly... I've played around with it just a little bit, and I think I prefer the allen wrench tools I've made myself. I'll probably make some other mini tools at some point using cold rolled steel and superglued HSS tips... Sort of like the Ellsworth tools.

Nick the gladstone tools is the knockoff I was thinking of. It would save you a few bucks.

I have the Sorby set and am very happy with the performance.