Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hollow and Round set information/price

Rare, yes. Non-existent, no.

The more you get into using these planes the more, at least for me, you may desire these in-between planes, especially in the smaller sizes. A #11 is 10% larger than a #10. A #2, however, is 100% larger than a #1. Mimicking the shapes of larger sizes will be a skill you attain. Making a bead that is 1/8" (#1 hollow) in diameter is a pain with a #2; significant facets will remain. Making a cove that has a radius of 1/16" is not possible with a #2 round (1/8" radius).

I crave #1s, 3s and 5s.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Maybe I will go for it. If not Jim, I'll definitely let you know, no problem.

As I'm not familiar really with the different wooden plane makers, are the labeled ones good makers, or just ordinary, or does that not come into play too much with the h&r's?

Joe

You may want to check with Tony Murland for harlequin sets of hollows and rounds.

Jack

Joe:
    I collect moulding planes..but British Makers only..and have a few rules that I try to follow...get good reference materials...only buy top quality planes..learn what you are doing as in know the profiles and makers...and collect what and whom you like...if you are buying them for users..makers less important...if they tug at your collectors edge..pay attention.
    As a collector I try to stay under $20 per plane...except for the rare ones..and then it is market driven..just bought 10 British planes by the same maker with same owner ....from 1819-30... on Ebay for $160...so $16 each ...and all in VG condition..
    Brian

Forget it, guys, I'm buying a router!

Haha, thanks for all the information everyone, you've successfully made me more confused about what to do. I'll have to look into it and think about it more.

Thanks for the link, Jack, I'll check out Tony's site.

As to Harlequin sets of hollows and rounds I am 2 planes short of one # 1- 18.. in the Madox..Mutter..Moseley continuim

Hi guys,

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to buy them, but I've spoken with the guy some more. I asked him if he used them, and how did or do they work. He says he tried them a few times many years ago (he's had them for 30+ years), but found it difficult (I had asked him if they were particularly hard planes to use). He says, though, that the planes are as sharp as ever and fully functional, and in excellent condition.

I'm not sure how to take the fact that he says he found them difficult to use. I'm guessing maybe he didn't have the planes set properly, and mayabe he didn't prepare the wood for use right, meaning maybe he didn't take off any extra waste first with a regular or block plane, and maybe he didn't cut any grooves/rebates first to guide the planes--that's fairy common practice, right (to make sure it tracts right)?

I guess it's a hard call to know if it's from his lack of familiarity with the planes or the planes themselves. But it'd be correct to say that it takes some getting used to, right? I mean, even a regular plane will seem difficult to use if you don't understand how to set the plane and sharpen properly, you know.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Fabbri; 09-24-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    I haven't decided yet if I'm going to buy them, but I've spoken with the guy some more. I asked him if he used them, and how did or do they work. He says he tried them a few times many years ago (he's had them for 30+ years), but found it difficult (I had asked him if they were particularly hard planes to use). He says, though, that the planes are as sharp as ever and fully functional, and in excellent condition.
    I would not base a decision on such a set based on a person who may not know how to sharpen blades that are not square and may not know how to set a blade in a wooden plane.

If you can try before you buy, that would be the best way to make up your mind.

I would buy them and try them at home. At that price you could likely sell them for as much or better than your paying for them on ebay.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ring View Post
    Have any of you guys ever seen either a "full set" or an "odd half set" of H&Rs? I've never seen anything but even- numbered H&Rs either singly or in sets, either live or in pictures. It seems odd that we refer to a complete set of even-numbered H&Rs as a "half set" when the supposedly corresponding odd-numbered planes appear to be either vanishingly rare or nonexistent.
    I have a near complete set of early Moseley hollows and rounds with the same owner's mark. Two planes are missing, if I remember right. I've seen several old sets of odds and a couple complete sets. Odd numbered hollow and round planes aren't rare and are often seen at tool collector meets.

Thanks for the info Larry. I guess I should get out more.

Not affiliated, but Jim Bode has a couple of harlequin sets for sale right now. I've heard he is decent to work with.