Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery rebuilds...help

Battery rebuilds...help

I've seen discussions here on the Creek re: getting batteries for cordless tools rebuilt. My understanding is that rebuilds are better than "new". What about cost? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a company that does it? I tried searching the site for the thread(s) but I don't often have a lot of luck doing that...impatient...inept...incontinent...whatever. Thanks for your help.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Here is a place that was recommended to me. I haven't used them yet, though.

Batteries
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I've used him and am very pleased. Cheaper than new replacements and longer lasting (higher AMP rating) cells, so yes, they are actually better than new. He charges strictly based on the number of cells used plus a small labor fee. He was very good to deal with, and I've recommended him to several friends.

Mike
    If you want to rebuild yourself, this site provides information.
    http://www.astromart.com/articles/ar...article_id=587

Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    Here is a place that was recommended to me. I haven't used them yet, though.

Batteries
    I had some done 3-4 months ago. The batteries work great, fast turnaround. I'll use them again.

Ed

I will throw my experience in to the mix....

I had 2 Milwaukee 12v (Ni-cads?) batteries rebuilt at a local battery retailer in my area. They worked well for 6 months or so, and went down hill from that point. After many rounds of use and frustration w/ the rebuilts, I bought new ones. Have used them hard the last couple years, and they are still going.

Am guessing the replacements were cheap / low quality.

Jim

I had 4 rebuilt by MTO and was happy with the results. Some were Ryobi 12V packs and they took a lot longer to charge after rebuild due to the much higher capacity cells. But they also lasted a lot longer. I no longer own any of the tools as I sold them all a year or two later and went to all LI-ION Milwaukee tools so I can't speak to how they held up real long term.

Interstate Batteries All-Battery Centers, Batteries + and Batteries Unlimited all offer this service, if you are looking for a retail outlet.

I just had a PC 12 volt pack rebuilt by Batteries Plus. cost was $32.99. What are others paying?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The better than new part depends on what MaH the cells are and are they NiCads or NiMH. All the NiCad packs I have are constructed from sub C cells. I can purchase NiMH cells that are well over double the MaH of the original cells. Last time I priced it out, it was gong to run me about $40 for enough 4500 MaH cells to rebuild one 18 volt pack. Not too bad for much longer run time and quicker charging. You might have to monkey with the charger if the new cells are more load than the current supply can handle. Most of those chargers are the cheapest piece of crap implementations the manufacturers can manage (at least the cheaper stuff like B&D). I bet a dual mode charger that can handle LiIon or NiCad (like the Ryobi one charger) might not have a problem.

I gave up on the rebuild and replacement for the NiMH batts. Went to the Makita LiIon 18v and never looked back.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Good point. I've been pushing my rebuild project because i don't really use anything but the drills and I have a Hitachi 18V and (gasp) B&D 12 LiIon and they are so light and run so long that I can't get enthused about the rebuilds...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I gave up on the rebuild and replacement for the NiMH batts. Went to the Makita LiIon 18v and never looked back.
    Bill

Are LI-Ion's rebuildable? I can't remember which but, the last time I was at my local Interstate Battery they said either they were not or could not rebuild them. But I can't remember why?

TIA

I had 2 14.4v DeWalt and 2 12v PC batteries rebuilt by MTO. I highly recommend them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I haven't see cells for them. As I understand things the batteries have a fair amount of electronics in them to keep you from completely draining the cells. That stuff may be so mated to the cells, that replacing the cells with something generic isn't practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Summers View Post
    Are LI-Ion's rebuildable? I can't remember which but, the last time I was at my local Interstate Battery they said either they were not or could not rebuild them. But I can't remember why?

TIA