Thread: Cutting Delrin - Is this supposed to happen

Cutting Delrin - Is this supposed to happen

I have a 100W Epilog 24EX. I am cutting 1/4" Delrin for a customer as they prototype various parts.
    We tried ABS in small pieces but we get a lot of melting, warping, and smoke. The pieces are small.

Like ABS without the smoke, Delrin has a flame like a torch when I cut it. Air assist (at least the one I have) does not seem to do anything about flame suppression. The dust collection system keeps the flame away from the lens.
    Is the flame typical? At high power and lower speeds I get melting around the edges.
    The best cuts were at 75P 25S, but we had to cut 4 times.
    The freq I use is 2500.

I see others post about cutting Delrin, but doesnt' seem to work. Would lowering the freq help?

Any advice to cut faster without a flame?

Acrylic 1/4" cuts great at P100, S10.
    Last edited by andrew zen; 09-22-2011 at 1:57 PM. Reason: typos
    Legend 24EX, Amaya (Big Red), Server Farm, PBX System Integrator, (5) Shopsmith Mark VII's. Smithy metal 3-1, anything old and grey I will think about buying. " I learn from failure - I learn everyday, but only fail when I refuse to learn."

Sorry, confused Delrin with Lexan.
    Last edited by David Fairfield; 09-23-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: confused
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

I know of at least two people that are getting very good results cutting Delrin. Based upon their positive experiences I have ordered two sheets of 3mm Delrin.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 09-22-2011 at 8:23 PM.

Hi Andrew

I have cut a large amount of delrin gears. It's been about a year since I've cut it but my notes say for 3/16" 10 speed 100 power 500 freq. 30psi air, at standard focus. My Machine is 75 watts. For 1/4" I have 8/100/500. It looks like I started with 1000 freq and focus at +4 clicks (closer) but settled on the above settings after experimenting. It cuts just fine.
    Duane
    Suquamish, WA
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75 Watt
    CorelDraw 2.0 thru X7

I've cut a ton of Delrin (acetal) and it cuts great. There is a small flame but air assist keeps it in check.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I also only cut delrin at 1000 frequency.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Will transfer tape stick to it? If so, apply some and mist with water just before cutting and see if that helps. I do that with silicone sheets and it helps a lot though the edges still char.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks all, will tune down my frequency and aim my air assist a little better, it seems to be aimed 1.5 inch away straight down.
    Legend 24EX, Amaya (Big Red), Server Farm, PBX System Integrator, (5) Shopsmith Mark VII's. Smithy metal 3-1, anything old and grey I will think about buying. " I learn from failure - I learn everyday, but only fail when I refuse to learn."

Well, turning down the frequency to 500-1000 and aiming half way into 1/4" Delrin worked like a charm. When I aimed the laser at the surface, the flames were much larger. S20 P100 for a 100W did the trick. Had huge angels in the cut, so there was a lot of diffraction in the laser beam.

Thanks for all the tips