Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad lens - but not at first glance... Epilog Helix

Bad lens - but not at first glance... Epilog Helix

Well, looks like my banding errors on photos may very well not be a bad tube after all - I may have to replace it in the end, but there is no question that this lens and the mirrors are causing compounded errors.

You can't see the damage by looking through the lens assy... gotta take it off to see what's really going on. Easy to do, just 2 screws and the entire assy comes off for inspection.

Dosen't look bad from this angle -

645.jpg

But from here..
    646.jpg

and here...
    647.jpg

The mirrors all have a uniform haze that won't come off, so replacing those as well. The good news?? Well, if you're on the fence and thinking about buying 3rd party lens and mirrors because Epilog's are to expensive, think again... the lens from Epilog is $104, and only one of the mirrors is over $35. Total for the one lens, 1 pass through and 2 mirrors was just a bit over $200! Not bad at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog Helix 45W
    Horn Lake, MS

So did the swap fix your banding issue?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

We'll see - I'll have the parts on Tuesday. I hope it will fix it, but I'm not necessarily counting on it. I very well may have to buy a tube as well, but this is the first logical step in the repair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog Helix 45W
    Horn Lake, MS

I normally take off the two screws for routine cleaning but then every 3-4 months take the lens out of the holder to inspect more closely. That gold coating does wear off in time.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

That lens doesnt look too bad , the lenses we use are often a lot worse and they still work ok. Im pretty sure banding is not a result of lens issues , why would a damaged lens where the beam path is constant thru the damaged bit cause banding which is not a constant type of distortion?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Don't mean to dampen your concerns, but my lens on my Helix looks far worse than your and it works fine. I certainly have not had banding errors nor unusual reactions to the engraving by using it.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Blog Entries
    I hate to burst your bubble, Doug, but a new lens will not resolve your problem. What you're showing will not affect the beam in that manner. If you have jobs in the hopper and are expecting the new lens to solve the problem, best start making alternate plans now.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I just replaced my tube on epilog and had the pass through lens real bad like yours and took some advise from others "Dan" clean with acetone yes epilog says stay away from it but I took acetone and a lens cloth to the lens and got the lens spotless. I would try some elbow greese on them being yo have put them out to pasture nothing to loose.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

The good news is as Doug says, Epilog's prices and policies have come down to earth! No longer do you have to buy lens/mirror/mount as one over-priced piece. I just ordered a second mount and new mirrors for about $100.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Also if you have a laser built from 2005 forward and is 30 w - 60w with a coherent tube if it goes out you can know buy the epilog brand replacement for alot less. Just replaced my 45 watt saved about 2200.00 and the tube is hotter and cuts 20% faster then from day one.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

I had the same exact problem a few months ago. I was doing 3D carving and it was leaving bad lines, just like banding. As much as it didn't (and still doesn't) make any sense, it was the lense. I did everything BUT change the lense, because as Rodney pointed out, why would a constant problem (bad lens) produce a not-constant issue such as banding. Banding is generally a mechanical problem that shows up on one direction of the axis more than the other. Yet, when I changed the lense, it went back to working fine. Go figure! So, do keep your hope up!

See my thread:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d!!!&highlight=
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsolt Paul View Post
    I had the same exact problem a few months ago. I was doing 3D carving and it was leaving bad lines, just like banding. As much as it didn't (and still doesn't) make any sense, it was the lense.
    I'm not sure I agree with your assessment that it was the lens, Z... here's a quote from that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zsolt Paul View Post
    What I did is rotate <the lens> within the lens holder (I dont mean upside down) and thankfully, the beam is currently missing the spots and is working fine.
    The beam covers a large portion of that lens, so rotating it would have little to no effect on the beam hitting the spots or not (not to mention you're rotating a round lens, which just changes where on the incoming beam the spots hit, not if they hit). The more likely explanation to the disappearance of your problem would be to you fiddling with the lens holder, applying pressure to the rails, the connecting band and cogs, etc.

Would it be possible if the lens did have an issue, plus the alignment was a bit off on the X-Axis
    so that when the lens carraige moved back an forth that the beam would be at a different spot on the lens
    depending upon the placement of the carraige as it moves left and right. Could this maybe have an effect on
    the quality of the beam as it exits the lens?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Would it be possible if the lens did have an issue, plus the alignment was a bit off on the X-Axis
    so that when the lens carraige moved back an forth that the beam would be at a different spot on the lens
    depending upon the placement of the carraige as it moves left and right. Could this maybe have an effect on
    the quality of the beam as it exits the lens?
    Anything is possible... but the pattern would likely be different as it traveled across the axis (i.e., no repeating patterns).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Anything is possible... but the pattern would likely be different as it traveled across the axis (i.e., no repeating patterns).
    But would it? The lines may be vertical instead of horizontal as it would be consistant as the carraige moves left to right
    as the beam would be say defracted at the same position
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!