Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Finial Star

My First Finial Star

Here is my first attempt at a Finial Star after watching Cindy Drozda's DVD once. After I was done I went back and watched it again. Anyway it is cherry and is finished with that new General Finishes Woodturners Finish. Overall I like the finish pretty well. It does raise the grain so the piece needs sanding after the first application. I used 400 grit. The next 3 coats I sanded with 600 grit. The last coat I used 0000 steel wool. Then applied some Ren Wax. I applied it with a old T-shirt and just a small piece to wipe it on. The first couple of coats soak in pretty well. 5 1/2" wide and 6" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like this one to.
    C&C WELCOME

very nice Bernie and I like the looks of the finish. I need to buy some and give it a try

Bernie I like that, it is different which is refreshing in itself. Did that wood turner finish change the color of the wood, it seems a little more brown than the cherry I use. It may be the picture or the wood could be a little different. I like the form.

very nice, Bernie, i like the 6 sided thingy

Great job on this one, too!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    What is the chemistry of General Finishes Woodturners Finish? Polyurethane? Tung oil? A linseed oil blend with something else?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Fred it did not change the color. The color is what it was when I began to turn it.

Russell it is a water/oil urethane hybrid. I am not sure what the oil is. So far I like it a lot.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work, Bernie!! What was the time frame for the finish - is it as fast drying as originally stated?

Thanks again John. It is pretty fast drying. I probably could have recoated it faster maybe every half hour. I was turning the finial and finishing the lid so it was probably a hour between coats. I am going to try it with the bowl on the lathe to see how it works. It worked really well on a pen I did. I know sanding will be easier on my hands as Arthur was giving my hands trouble yesterday and today. All in all I do like the finish. I haven't buffed that finish yet but maybe will try it on a regular bowl. I was a little afraid of those stars to buff it. I didn't want to screw up a lot of work. Fun to make but it has a few steps to making it.
    Bernie

Very nice Bernie great job.

Another great job Bernie!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Beautiful Bernie! Keep 'em coming.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Nice Bernie. You do great work. I like the use of Cherry.

Thanks to all. Donny I do like turning cherry. This one turned nicely.
    Bernie