Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Second Finial Star

My Second Finial Star

This is my second finial star and is from some pecan I got from Mike Smith. I was just sick as I was turning the lid I had turned to get another tool and heard a pop. I turned around to look and the lid had split into. So the lid is maple. Both pieces are dyed with the under side of the lid and inside the bowl green. The outside was dyed red both using transtint dye. It is finished with lacquer and is 6" across and 6 1/2" high. I really like the way this one turned out and the wife just told my son 1/2 hr ago that is was not for sale period. He asked me if he could buy it but she said no before I could open my mouth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow, that's a beauty Bernie! I like everything about it, the form, the star shape, the color and the finial...all great! Do you bandsaw the star shape into the blank before turning, or the other way around? Either way, again, beautiful. Thanks for sharing
    Dan

Nice colors and not an easy project. It is little wonder the wife has attached herself to it.
    C&C WELCOME

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Nice Bernie. Is the finial black lacquer? Or ebony?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Bernie
    Very nice another great job. Looks like your getting these Stars down pretty good.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

i agree, i like this one the best Bernie, you must be getting ready for the holidays with your color choices

Nice work, Bernie. It looks like a perfect Christmas dish!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Very nice Bernie, Its good to keep a few turning in your home to show off and this one looks like a keeper...

Thanks again. One of our best friends come over tonight for a visit. My wife showed them the piece. Sherry wanted to buy it on the spot but the wife was rather insistant it wasn't for sale. She wants me to make her a couple. I told her I would need to think about it and maybe do some design changes because I didn't like copying someone's piece then selling it. So guess I will see what I can come up with. I have got a few idea's that I have been thinking about so will see what comes.

Dan I cut the star after I have it all finished. I bandsaw out the shape making sure not to cut the line. I then take my oscillating spindle sander and sand it to the line for a smooth finish.

Charlie and Doug it is kinda funny. Those are the only transtint colors I have on hand right now. But I didn't even think about Christmas.LOL

Russell the finial is maple and finished with India ink. Then lacquered.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie, this is my favorite of the two - and, some really deep colors, too.

Thanks John. That pecan from Mike Smith sure soaked up the dye and like Drozda's DVD I sprayed the piece after the dye to blend it and it sure brought out the color.
    Bernie

Great job on the second real nice, third time is a charm.

Looks great Bernie! Looks like you've got finial turning down and nice job on the dye too!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

14. Truly nice work Bernie...........I like this one best as well...........elegant!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice work Bernie as it's my favorite of the two as well. Looking forward to what you may come up with if you decide to sell these.
    Tony

"Soldier On"