Thread: Any tips on running dust collector ductwork?

Any tips on running dust collector ductwork?

I'm installing a new Oneida 1500 dust collector and am finding assembling the ductwork more of an issue than I suspected. I didn't go for the easy connecting stuff, just the cheap regular 26 gauge pipe, and putting the pipe together so the ends are fully engaged isn't easy. Seems like the male end should be slightly smaller to simplify, but I realize that once it's together it is better as is. Should I be using lubrication, should I hammer it, or should I re-crimp the ends to make them smaller so they fit together easier? Just looking for a quick tip or two.
    Thanks.

Craig,

Get you a Malco hand crimper and crimp one end of the duct to look like it did from the factory then it will slip into the other piece. Then use three drill screws to secure the joint. As you build the ductwork seal all joints and seams with mastic duct tape. You should be able to buy the crimper and duct tape at HD or Lowes.

Have fun.

Don't the screws sticking through on the inside of the ducts start to catch larger wood shavings?

They might.....or they might not. But how will you ever know? You could pop rivet from the inside if you can reach far enough up to do it. If not, the aluminum tape mentioned above should be fine as long as you don't have any stress on the pipe. Might not work well on vertical runs unless the pipe is supported very well. Use the shortest screw you can find, or grind the short ones down some after hole is drilled. If I had to use a screw, I'd want just enough to grab the metal. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

When I assembled my ductwork I placed a scrap piece of 2/4 over the leading end of the pipe and tapped it into the previous pipe with a dead blow hammer. It didn't take very hard hits to get the pipes to seat. 2 or three 1/2" self drilling screws in each joint and then wrapped the joint with metal duct tape. Don't forget to tape the joint along the length of the pipe.

I would not worry about small pieces of wood getting caught on the ends of the screws. Other small pieces of wood will come by and knock them off. I have re-configured my duct work several times and not found any wood chips or slivers or whatever hanging on to the ends of the screws.

Use metal tape and do it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Use metal tape and do it once.
    The mastic tape has a foil backing.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas prusak View Post
    Don't the screws sticking through on the inside of the ducts start to catch larger wood shavings?
    I was worried about the screws collecting particles as well so I used the shortest drill screws that would penetrate both sections of duct. Mine has been in 5 years with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Kalkman View Post
    I'm installing a new Oneida 1500 dust collector and am finding assembling the ductwork more of an issue than I suspected. I didn't go for the easy connecting stuff, just the cheap regular 26 gauge pipe,.
    Craig congratulations on the new 1500. I just picked up a Pro 2000 on Thursday. Did you get the pipe from Oneida? Or did you buy else were?

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006