Thread: Best Sharpening DVD or Book

Best Sharpening DVD or Book

One of my many weak skills in woodworking is keeping a sharp edge on chisels, knives, etc. I received an e-mail this morning from American Woodworker with advertisement for a DVD on sharpening. But before pull out my credit card I thought I would come to my fellow 'creekers' for advice. I am sure that some of you have purchased either books or DVD's that have been of benefit in mastering a sharp edge. So if you could take a moment and share your experience, I would be very grateful.
    Thank you
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

I have and like Leonard Lee's Complete Guide to Sharpening. It is wide ranging, covering everything from planes to saws to axes. I have not read some of the others so I can not compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Godlesky View Post
    I have and like Leonard Lee's Complete Guide to Sharpening. It is wide ranging, covering everything from planes to saws to axes. I have not read some of the others so I can not compare.
    I have and like the same book. There are other good books on sharpening but none better.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

+1 on Leonard Lee. Ron Hock's "The Perfect Edge" adds something as well about technique. The Lee book has a lot of science emphasis.

You can run around in circles about this matter. And spend in excess of $1000. Early on, pick a method and learn, learn, learn + practice, practice, practice.

http://www.hocktools.com/sharpen.htm

First of all, sharpening a knife is something different than a plane blade or chisel. I've tried it with a 1x42 belt sander that I picked up at a thrift store, with mixed success.

I struggled with chisel and plane blades for a long time, but came up with a system that works easily. First of all, chisels can become very precise cutting tools, if set up properly. This requires a super flat back. I start a new chisel using the belt sander- I use the round part of the belt sander to cause a small dip in the back of the blade where it gets narrow near the handle. This dip sets an end to the flat part of the chisel. I have each of the grits from extra coarse extra fine in diamond stones. THe plastic ones are flatter. You start with the extra coarse and get the back flat, then work your way up. Flattening the back (unless you have Lie-Neilson) will be a character builder and a lifetime investment. I have pfeil chisels, which were not cheap, and it took time.

The bevel edge is easy, with one trick. I use a 10 dollar woodcraft honing guide, and work through the grits. When finished, I increase the angle very slightly, and a few passes on each side a spyderco ceramic stone.

Once the back is done, it is done- it should only ever see the finest stones.

One more tip- if you can, go to a Lie-neilson show, they will show you how to sharpen.

Check out Chris Scharz DVD "The Last Word on Sharpening"

Thanks for the replies so far gentlemen. It seems the Leonard Lee is rather popular. I think Gary's advice is something that fits my problem with impatience

IMO David Charlesworth's DVD's on precision sharpening of chisels is best. His video on plane blades is also excellent.

I'm also a great fan of Ron Hock's book.

Like Mr. Curtis said above, what ever you pick ( they are all good information ), practice and keep learning. There's a world of ways to sharpen and with practice they all work.

Enjoy the process!

I agree Lee's book is very good. Recently I watched a comprehensive series on sharpening on the internet from www.askwoodman.com. I really got a lot from it.

Lie-Nielsen put out some great videos on sharpening on YouTube. Explore the free videos/info first. Never found a need to buy a book and get some pretty good results (by my standards). Just takes a good jig, stones, and some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Konobeck View Post
    Lie-Nielsen put out some great videos on sharpening on YouTube. Explore the free videos/info first. Never found a need to buy a book and get some pretty good results (by my standards). Just takes a good jig, stones, and some practice.
    +1 on that. Unfortunately though, a good jig (like Veritas MKII), plus some stones good enough for planes and chisels, will cost a lot of money.

--- Mats ---
    Last edited by Mats Bengtsson; 09-26-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

I second Chris Scharz DVD "The Last Word on Sharpening" for no nonsense, get it done and get back to working wood.

It all depends if your hobby is sharpening or woodworking...
    If I had six hours to chop down a tree I'd hire someone else to do it and put my time to better use.

I thing the Leonard Lee book is a great suggestion. I also feel that you can spend a lot of money on sharpening tools and still have problems.

I have lots of sharpening stones and equipment. Most of my sharpening is done on solid surface scraps that were hand lapped flat. I then use wet dry abrasive paper on them. Once initially ground, my chisels never see the grinder again.

If you spend too much time sharpening, you will be more concerned about dulling your tools.

Great Advice and much thanks to all. I will look at the youtube video and probably order Leonord Lees book.
    I may wait till the WW Show and see if it is cheaper there.
    Thanks Again to everyone.