Thread: X-acta Fence??

X-acta Fence??

While reading some of Jim Tolpin's book Table Saw Magic I came across a picture of an X-ACTA fence. Is the same as a Beismeyer fence of today. I also read the thread started tonight about the General table saw and the out of square fence.
    My reason for asking and wondering is a friend recently aquired a X5 Delta cabinet saw. I suggested he check the fence for square on both sides of the fence as the General fence was only square on one side. He laughed and said it didn't matter! Da-- school teacher's anyway. I think after he reads Jim Tolpin's book he'll check the fence for square.
    I'm Just wondering how important it is for the fence to be square on both sides, since you only saw from the closest side anyway.

Only the left side is critical since this guides the boards. It seems as though both sides should be square. I think either the steel tube is not coplaner to the table or the glide buttons are not riding equally or one is missing.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Tolpin's book is great, especially the jigging-up section about how to get more out of this style fence. I actually did look at the faces of my fence (and Xacta, coincidentally) after reading the book and it originally was "out" when it came to perpendicular. For many of the cuts we make, there is little effect on our work, but when you run something "tall", such as a bevel cut for a raised panel or something, it really can make a slight difference in accuracy if the fence isn't perpendicular to the table. On the Xacta, there are two "set screws" in the top of the "tee" that rides along the front fence rail that control this particular alignment...there is likely a similar adjustment on other fences of this ilk. But as Mark points out, making one side perpendicular doesn't guarantee the other side follows suit!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I concure with you both, however we/he have not checked his Beis for squareness as of yet. It seems as though, since Jim Tolpin uses his fence as the guide bar and basis for most of his jigs, it should be square in both planes.
    I'll post tomorrow as I've had a chance to check the table for flatness and the fence for square.