Thread: Wood Vendors near Lakeland Florida?

Wood Vendors near Lakeland Florida?

I'll be in the Lakeland, FL area this week visiting my dad and I was wondering if there's any places where I could buy some wood for turning. I'm mainly looking for some hardwood such as maple and cherry. I've already found a few possibilities in woodfinder:
    Hardwood Lumber & Millwork -- Lakeland
    Amazon Exotic Hardwoods -- Casselberry
    Woodcraft -- Orlando

I might check out the Lowes and Home Depot stores or other lumber yards. The ones in my area don't sell any hardwoods except red oak, but maybe that's geographical. If anyone has any other ideas I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Bob,

There are several places in the Tampa Bay area where you can get hardwood (flat stuff) and other woods for bowls.

Weiss Hardwoods
    Craftsmen Supply

Also, there is a place called Viable Lumber that mills locally grown exotic and domestic woods.

All of these places can be located by doing a Google search. Good luck!

Allen
    Allen

Thanks a bunch Allen I will have to check them out.

I don't know if 50 miles is "close" but there is a great place in Bradenton for blanks.........WoodTurningBlanks4U
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Bob, I haven't made it out to Bradenton for WoodTurningBlanks4U, I think it's a pretty cool program they have going, probably worth the trip.

Hardwood Lumber and Millwork has some turning blanks though I admit it has been awhile since I have visited there. It's worth finding, the guy who runs it is named Jim Hammer, great guy to deal with. I've bought wood from Jim many times.

Lowes and Home Depot aren't worth looking at around here. Just FYI, nothing other than red oak and maybe some poplar. Clearwater has a pretty good Woodcraft, though the one in Orlando I think has more turning related items and a better selection of wood.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein