Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Does It Cost To Get A TS Blade Sharpened.

How Much Does It Cost To Get A TS Blade Sharpened.

Yeah, I know it depends on the type of blade. What I mostly use is a 7-1/4" 40 tooth carbide blade. Just looking for a ballpark figure. I don't have an expensive blade and it has been in use for several years. Maybe it is more economical to buy a new blade than it is to drive half way across town to get it sharpened?? Thanks.

It goes by the # of teeth....that would be about $15 at Farr's where I get stuff sharpened. If it is a cheap blade...it may not be worth it.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

My saw sharpener charges $.30 a tooth. I have to deliver and pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    Yeah, I know it depends on the type of blade. What I mostly use is a 7-1/4" 40 tooth carbide blade. Just looking for a ballpark figure. I don't have an expensive blade and it has been in use for several years. Maybe it is more economical to buy a new blade than it is to drive half way across town to get it sharpened?? Thanks.
    It will vary in different parts of the country. What I pay where I live could be much different than where you live. Why not just call the guy across town and ask him? That way you'll get an accurate cost for where you are.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

A good 7 1/4" Marathon blade costs on average only $8.05 out in this area. I would just buy another one instead of sharpening the old one.

I pay my sharpener $12 to do my 50 tooth blades and $14 for the 60s. The blades cost about $60 new so it's well worth getting them sharpened. As for 7 1/4s, unless you're using pricey ones pitching them is best. Your time to go to the sharpener is worth something, even if the sharpening is a bit cheaper than buying new. You may be able to buy your blades in bulk to save money.

Excellent tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bartley
    A good 7 1/4" Marathon blade costs on average only $8.05 out in this area. I would just buy another one instead of sharpening the old one.

My approximate cost from Forrest is about $25 including shipping for a 40t blade.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    It goes by the # of teeth....that would be about $15 at Farr's where I get stuff sharpened. If it is a cheap blade...it may not be worth it.
    Mark,

I'm here in CA too - where's Farr's?

John,

They are in Santa Ana. I use them or Industrial Blade, a Lenox dealer, also in Santa Ana. I will get you the numbers. Farr's just did some backsaws for me at $10 each. 15" Jointer knives were $50 for the set. I will get you the numbers.

Farr's is 714.972.1600 they are used by many furniture and millwork shops here in Laguna and throughout Orange County

Industrial blade: 714.557.4137
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 02-26-2005 at 11:16 AM.

I thought I paid about $20 for the blade; but from seeing prices on eBay, my memory may be faulty. I see blades there ranging from $10 for a Dewalt to only $3 per for Chinese blades in quantities of 10. Guess resharpening is not economical for the small blades. Thanks for all of your comments.

Made a bunch of phone calls today and never did find anyone who would sharpen TS blades???

Just wondering....I have a nice little diamond "stone" that I'm sure would "fit" my saw blade. Any reason I couldn't touch up my blade by hand??

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    Made a bunch of phone calls today and never did find anyone who would sharpen TS blades???

Just wondering....I have a nice little diamond "stone" that I'm sure would "fit" my saw blade. Any reason I couldn't touch up my blade by hand??
    Try D&R Saw & tool On Harry Hines in Dallas 972 243-7701 or Leitz Tooling in Garland 214 340-2490
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Now 2 of today's blade topics have pretty well bracketed my question, so I'll post it in this thread: Were I to bite the bullet and purchase a 105", 3-tpi Lennox Trimaster, is it feasible or even possible to get it resharpened? I don't own a TS and don't especially want one, so I use the bejeebers out of my 14" BS (I see a more robust jointer and BS in the future).

Most of the carbide tip bandsaw blades require a 16 to 20 inch minimum bandsaw size (due to the stiffness of the blade), and require more tension than a typical 14 inch bandsaw can provide.