Thread: Tool Rest Rod

Tool Rest Rod

Okay, so I have been searching the forum to find info, but I keep coming up short. I am needing to have some tool rests made this week, and I was curious what is a good rod to use for the top. I know most rods don't come hardened, but annealed. Is O1 rod gonna be hard enough in the annealed state, or should I harden it before attaching it to the tool rest?

Also, if I was willing to pay for it would a HSS rod like this make more sense?
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT...-SearchResults

Thanks,

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 09-26-2011 at 10:03 AM.

I've made up several using hardened shaft used for linear bearings to ride on. Check out McMaster Carr. Search "hardened shaft" or as an example type in part number 6061K12 @ $4.09/ea. That will get you in the right direction. I milled a groove for the rod to sit in but it can be done with a grinder and file. I made the groove a little deeper to hold more epoxy. Used the two part metal panel epoxy from the local NAPA store. Been using them for several years without any problems.

Hutch, I think a lot of the tool rests with the hardened rod on top are using drill rod. That stuff is darn hard and would make a good "rail" for the top of a tool rest. That is what my Robust rest appears to have on top of it.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

"Drill rod" for sure. HSS will be better than cast iron but it's still not really hard unless you harden it. I heated mine up cherry red and quenched it in water before attaching it to my tool rest. But drill rod is as hard as it gets and you don't have to mess with it. It's easy to attach it with JB Weld. But keep in mind that you will be adding to the height of your tool rest. Even if you mill a groove, most of the diameter of the rod will be addd to the tool rest height. You don't need large diameter rod, just enough to create a smooth rail for the tool to ride on. 1/4" rod will be sufficient for this and will not add too much to the tool rest height, especially if your groove is a eighth if an inch or so deep.
    David DeCristoforo

I made a couple by welding 1/4" dia "A2" rod on top of mild steel. The heat from welding hardened the "A2" steel somewhat and they work pretty well (no dings yet with a fair amount of use). Heating and quenching would improve the hardness but I was concerned about warping and/or stress cracks in the weld. I would not try to weld rod on a cast iron rest, epoxy is likely better for attaching to cast iron.

Okay, I think I will stick to drill rod. I had originally been looking into the hardened drill rods, which only come annealed, and I wasn't sure if that was hard enough. Sounds like I should be fine. Any recommendations for the grade of steel?

Thanks,

Hutch

P.S. One reason I was thinking about a slightly larger rod, that is 3/8", was to give a little lip for my finger to run under. The price difference is negligible, and I've already accounted for the extra height. It may not be necessary, but I figure what the heck.....it's only $4.

Matt

O1 is fine for tool rests. I have made at least 100 tool rests using O1.

Matt,
    Check out the tool rest I made with O-1 drill rod at this link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r-a-Wood-Lathe

The O-1 was not hardened and is holding up just fine

Doug

Thanks guys! I will go ahead and place the order for a couple 36" pieces of O1 drill rod. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Hutch