Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand Tool Project (mostly anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Diaman View Post
    Chris,
    About three years ago I decided I wanted to build furniture. I picked up a few of Glen Huey’s DVD’s and read everything I could get my hands on. From that base I just figured things out and taught myself. Every day is still a learning process and I think it will probably always be that way
    That's incredibly impressive and very inspiring!

Absolutely great piece of work!!!

I still spent a little over 250 hours on this piece
    This is the most impressive part to me. I'm pretty sure there aren't many people around who could build a piece as well done as that in that number of hours.

That's one beautiful piece of work.
    Your bucket list must have a big check on it for craftsmanship!

Thanks for posting!

Jaw dropping indeed! I'll look forward to the tutorial!

Cheers,
    Chris C.

Quote Originally Posted by john jesseph View Post
    Was it Bob Whitney or Bob Whitley? Looks good, satisfying to complete I bet!
    It was Bob Whitley. The auto correct feature strikes again. It was really bad when a friend asked what size jointer I had. My reply was I had a 12" pointer. He didn't know if he should be impressed or appalled :-)
    Diamanwoodcrafters

It was Bob Whitley. The auto correct feature strikes again. It was really bad when a friend asked what size jointer I had. My reply was I had a 12" pointer. He didn't know if he should be impressed or appalled :-)
    Ha. Stupid autocorrect once caused me to write a thread about moving filibusters when I was in the market for a fillister plane.

My reply was I had a 12" pointer. He didn't know if he should be impressed or appalled :-)
    That's funny ... That'd be a tough question for most guys; 12" jointer, or 12" pointer? Guess it depends on age & "ability as a craftsman" :-)
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

You are amazing. Keep up the inspiring work. Really fantastic. I don't know where to start. Yes.

Hello Dave,

As I mentioned above, jaw dropping is an understatement.

I also just noticed and got a kick out the fact that you're in Bel Air--I finished high school there in the late '80s back when it was still just a cow town (as in the cows were still next to the shopping mall)! My brother still lives down the road in Aberdeen.

Cheers,
    Chris C.

wow. THis is an old thread but i haven't been on in a while. pretty incredible. I am just finishing up the block front from Huey's book. I'll post pics when its done. It was truly a learning experience. and i just realized your'e right down the road from me. I just moved to Port Deposit a couple years ago.

Mike

Tip of the hat from another Harford County woodworker. I live in Havre de Grace and just got started into hand tool woodworking 6 months ago. Nice to know there are others around. If there are any neander gatherings in these parts I would love to hear about them.

Very impressive piece Dave! The carvings are stunning!

Jared

Bravo, Dave! I'm curious... about how many board feet would I need to order to build this piece?

And, even though I'm going to go back and read your past posts, did you start out with a focus on period pieces? Or is that what your clientele were looking for? I'd love to hear more about your beginnings as a professional maker...

Thanks. Your work is inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hegedus View Post
    Bravo, Dave! I'm curious... about how many board feet would I need to order to build this piece?

And, even though I'm going to go back and read your past posts, did you start out with a focus on period pieces? Or is that what your clientele were looking for? I'd love to hear more about your beginnings as a professional maker...

Thanks. Your work is inspiring.
    Hi Matt,
    Be aware that this project was posted going on 6 years ago and it looks like Dave hasnt logged on with us in a couple months. The work really is inspiring, but you probably wont hear from Dave anytime soon. (Reviving ancient posts like this one isnt usually a great idea, for those kind of reasons friend.) But you might look him up on the web and contact him that way. I just noticed he included the name of his firm at the end of the original post, which should help.

Anyway, welcome to the Creek. Glad to have you join us!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-21-2017 at 6:56 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That is beautiful, stunning craftsman like work....Excellent!! Thank you for sharing your effort..