Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Tool Project (mostly anyway)

Hand Tool Project (mostly anyway)

I would normally post this in the projects forum but since such a large portion of this was done using hand tools I thought this may be a bettr place. I can finally check this one off the bucket list now. This piece has been a real bear and is defiantly the most complex piece I have ever built. This was one of those pieces where nothing seemed easy. I have to take my hats off to the Newport cabinet makers who built the original. While I used power tools probably a good 70% of the time spent on this was hand tool work. I can’t even imagine doing everything with hand tools.

This is based on the Newport secretary in the Museum of Fine Art in Boston. Bob Whitley was kind enough to supply photos and patterns off of the original. Craig Bentzley was also a huge help. He answered a lot of construction questions the photos didn’t cover and made me a full scale drawing of the pediment which saved me a ton of time. Even with all that to make it easier I still spent a little over 250 hours on this piece which is saying something for me. The piece is all curly cherry from Horizon Wood Products with standard cherry and poplar as the secondary wood. I also want to add that carving the cherry was insane. The finish on this is actually a natural finish. I chemically aged it and finished it with tung oil/varnish, shellac and a top coat of lacquer. and before anyone asks I will be getting some better photos.

Diamanwoodcrafters

Dude, that is some serious woodwork. Congratulations.

Good point about the original designers. When you think about the man hours and wood costs, to think that they raised the bar and tackled these projects is really something. A doctor friend of mine has a bombe chest, and although I'm sure it's not the most spectacular specimen on the planet, it is still a real specimen and it just blows my mind.
    Last edited by john brenton; 09-26-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    It's sufficiently stout..

*jaw hits floor* Wow! Nice work man...

Wow Dave. Each piece of yours is more impressive than the last. That is absolutely (to steal a phrase from bob, "jaw-dropping) magnificent. You certainly help define the term "craftsman." Though difficult as you mentioned, hopefully you had some fun along the way. What an accomplishment. Kudos.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Dave, that is an amazing piece of furniture which undoubtedly would look good in the museum next to the original! I can't even imagine being able to execute such a piece.

You must be able to carve Newport shells in your sleep after that one!

DAMN! I can't even comprehend how one goes about building something like that. Thanks or sharing.

Wow, that is some piece of work. I'm still working on a jewelry box, haha. Very impressive, thanks for sharing all the great pictures.

Let me ask you, when it comes to making the swan's neck pediment crown, is it done mostly by hand carving and scraping? Or did you use a router on some of that. Just curious.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Amazing work.

Do you have photos from the construction?

Hope you have heirs to pass that along.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Amazing work.

Do you have photos from the construction?

Hope you have heirs to pass that along.

jtk
    I have probably 500 photos of the construction and will be doing a tutorial on it soon. Sadly this is a customer piece. One day I may actually build a piece for myself.
    Diamanwoodcrafters

Blog Entries
    Sadly this is a customer piece.
    I hope you were compensated well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

WOW!!! What a fantastic piece and superb craftsmanship! Just....WOW!!!
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Diaman View Post
    I have probably 500 photos of the construction and will be doing a tutorial on it soon.
    I'll keep an eye on your blog for sure. I bet most would appreciate a note here when you get it posted.

I'm speechless. That's really truly amazing. So many details.

One of my favorites is how you did the "clam shell" carvings on the front of the desk (what you can see when the door is closed). I like you you did two convex carvings and one concave... but they match perfectly.

Like somebody else said, I hope your customer paid a fair price!

That is one real sweet piece of furniture.... Exceptional work Dave.
    I like to pop onto your website and now am really looking forward to this tutorial.
    Thanks for sharing.

Dave, Gary Z. prompted me on this one - absolutely amazing work!!! And, the fact that you did much of it with handtools makes it all the more impressive. Thanks for inspiring the troops!!