Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Marquetry Project

First Marquetry Project

I've done veneer work for a number of years, including geometric designs in veneer. But I've never done marquetery. Recently, I signed up for Paul Schurch's marquetry class in November in Santa Barbara. To prepare for the class, I got his DVD and followed the instructions to do a modification of the project on the DVD. It wasn't as hard as I though it would be.

A picture of the panel is below. I just have two coats of shellac on it, but I'll finish it with lacquer and use it as the bottom of a serving tray.

I'm looking forward to the class to gain more skill in this technique. I think it will open up a world of decorative possibilities.

Mike

[Unfortunately, the picture does not show the detail well.]

Marquetry-01.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-27-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That looks just great!

Excellent work, you will be well prepared for your class.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Are you sure you need to attend a class Mike? That looks pretty polished! I imagine your background working with veneers will give you quite a headstart on the typical student. Enjoy the class, and Santa Barbara!

Mike you did a great job on the flowers, you should really enjoy the class in November with Paul Schurch. I have heard he is a good teacher. Which DVD of his did you get for this project?

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Mike you did a great job on the flowers, you should really enjoy the class in November with Paul Schurch. I have heard he is a good teacher. Which DVD of his did you get for this project?

Richard
    Thanks for your kind words. The DVD I used is titled "Marquetry, Volume 2". It's volume 2 because volume 1 is basic veneering. The series is the Schurch Masterclass Series.

Of course, this is a very simple marquetry project - they can get a lot more complex. But that's true of everything - you have to walk before you can run.

I'll let you know how the class went after I attend. It's in early November.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nice job Mike!

How thick are the veneers you used?

Bill

Blog Entries
    Beautiful, Mike. I've been through your compass rose tutorial and will try it some day. This seems to be an extension of that skill you have mastered so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Nice job Mike!

How thick are the veneers you used?

Bill
    They're 1/42 of an inch. Some marquetarians use 1/25" veneers but they're harder to find. Plus, the background is usually 1/42" so you have to sand down the motif pieces to match.

Mike

That looks fantastic!

It's inspiring too, as I'm embarking on my marquetry oddysey these days too. I just scored an eclipse scroll saw and have assembled a vacuum press. I'll be ready for my first experiments soon. I should hope to do a fraction as well as you have here!

Bythe way, I bought the Gramercy Veneer saw, and am blown away by how much better it is to use than the light little classic offset models. If you haven't tried one, I recommend it highly - like the difference between using a no name pot metal 70's Stanley plane and a LN or infill!

Real nice work Mike.
    If this is what you can do before the class I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens after....

Piling on with everyone else; your usual FANTASTIC work ...
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Wow...that's really wonderful, Mike!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful work Mike! You look like you are ahead of the game for the class.
    I want to try some marquetry at some point. I have Paul Schürch’s 1st DVD and he is a very good teacher(IMHO).

Jim

Mike,

By the looks of your first marquetry project, you should be teaching a class, not taking a class... Great job.

Sam