Thread: Stained Oak Bench and shelving

Stained Oak Bench and shelving

Put this in yesterday. It came out pretty sleek. Client didnt want to pay for shelving scribed into the curvy wall so I used trim behind 2 shelves and the bench. Customer will put baskets under bench. A interior designer was involved. Shelves are made up 1/2 inch ply ,that makes it hollow inside i.d. 1.5" , bolted 2x4 pieces on edge to wall cut down slightly with 6" lag bolts and glued to wall as well.

IMG_5701B.jpg

Interesting design. Nice job.

I like the slick design. I would be curious/nervous on the weight the shelves could hold, but the lag bolts look about the best method for hidden bracing to the studs. Maybe they are stiffen than I imagine. Did you push down on the shelves some to see how much flex they have? Would you feel comfortable with someone putting a lot of books on there?

I hate making cabinets to fit in a house. If there is one thing you can always count on, it is unsquare walls with uneven surfaces.

Nice job though. I like the style with the firebox(?), they work well together.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I wouldnt sit on them but they were strong. There was heavy memorabilia ( like a plane gun barrel) going onto it and it seems to be fine.They were bolted into the studs anywhere from 2.5-3 inches and they were 3/8 wide.The shelves were pretty light being 1/2 inch ply core top and bottom.Also shot some nails into top and bottom which caught the 2x4 bolted to sheetrock/studs. One thing more could of been done which was cutout the sheetrock so the 2x4 sat on the vertical studs. Now the customer wants me to shorten the 2 shortest shelves by 2 inches to pull them off the fireplace. Not my design in the first place it was an interior designer.

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    I like the slick design. I would be curious/nervous on the weight the shelves could hold, but the lag bolts look about the best method for hidden bracing to the studs. Maybe they are stiffen than I imagine. Did you push down on the shelves some to see how much flex they have? Would you feel comfortable with someone putting a lot of books on there?

I hate making cabinets to fit in a house. If there is one thing you can always count on, it is unsquare walls with uneven surfaces.

Nice job though. I like the style with the firebox(?), they work well together.