Thread: Braking resistor for VL300?

Braking resistor for VL300?

I see on the Vicmarc website that Vicmarc offers a braking resistor for the VL300. I never hear anyone talk about the resistor in regard to the Vicmarcs. Anyone have one installed?

I am very familiar with the braking resistor on the 2436 and find it essential when turning large work to reduce the controller from "tripping" when stopping or even turning the speed down too quickly. The BR doesn't solve the issue but makes the issue managable with the 2436.

But I have not heard of anyone having a similar problem with the vl300 and am trying to figure out if I order a VL300 should I get the BR. I sometimes do turn wood big enough to max out the inboard swing on my lathe. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bill Luce; 09-27-2011 at 7:50 AM.

I don't have a Vicmarc but this is a universal issue with VFDs. There are two possible fixes; either increase the deceleration time or install a breaking resistor. I have the deceleration rate set so that it only trips out only with really large pieces. A breaking resistor will not help when starting, only when stopping.

Most VFD's have a built in breaking resistor. Most are about rated at 20% of rated output. If you need a stronger brake you need to get an additional breaking resistor. There are some cheaper VFD's that do not have breaking resistors at all.

Good Luck

Alan

The breaking resistor on my Vega is settable and I have mine set high cause I turn mostly large stuff on it. Smaller things if I turn them on it STOP right now when you hit the switch and the larger stuff stops within a revolution and doesn't over-speed.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I always thought that it is reccomended practice to turn the speed down of the lathe prior to pushing the stop button? To me this makes much more sense than adding something to keep you from making a mistake, and besides if you are turning something that large and heavy don't you turn it down to start it back up anyway? Because starting the lathe at a very high rpm, even with a slow ramp up speed is not safe. I have turned some very large chunks of wood and have never had an issue ever with anything tripping, seems like common sense to me or maybe I just don't under stand the issue.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown