Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plagiarism

Plagiarism

I have had a skeleton idea rattling about my head for some time now and it included the southwest form I recently completed and some pyro. I turned the form and had basic ideas (including an ascending spiral!) before seeing her work. I want to mimic some of the paleolithic art similar to that found in Lascaux, France. I am especially drawn to the stylized horse and bison images. My problem now is I have since seen some of the work by Molly Winton and this is exactly what I want to reproduce. Of course, since seeing her work, I am no doubt influenced a fair bit by it, but not entirely. Now I cannot get these designs out of my head and have tried in vain to come up with a original reproduction (oxymoron) using similar images and layout, but can't do it. Is this plagiarism, unethical or just cheesy to reproduce works similar to hers using ancient (uncopywrited) images as models when her influence will be clearly obvious?
    I had in mind a design similar to the one pictured below and it may emerge remarkably similar. Where are the limits here? I do not sell any of my work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are not selling there is no copyright issue, as far a I know. I can think of several variants, but she has done several herself. I don't think the use of the motif is 'per se' plagerism.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I think there's a subtle difference between outright duplication/plagiarism and influence. It's a widely discussed topic.
    Hey...look at how all the great works including this one by Molly is influenced by SW pottery design, and the designs are influenced from other sources.
    How she has blended them together is part of her unique style on this piece.
    I think as long as you give some credit to being influenced by a particular artist, you're being honest and it shouldn't be a problem.
    I do think there are times when two or more people come up with similar ideas without knowledge of each other's piece, and that should bear out in minor nuances between the pieces.
    The fact that you're not trying to sell on market helps, but see what others say.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Talk to Molly, give attribution and don't sell is the best you can do. Copying the masters has been around a very long time.
    Peter

Peter, I know where you are coming from. My delemia is this: When I "think" of a turning idea I can't remember if it is original in my mind or if it is something I have seen in past years and it comes into my mind and I think it is original to me. I have had a couple of instances where I have seen a turning and it looks so much like what I have done it is eerie. What came first the chicken or the egg?????? Is it plagerism????? The last thing I want to have happen is for someone to say "So and so turned a piece exactly like this....what did you do, turn this from their picture?"
    I turn, therefore I am

I agree with what has been said. As a creative exercise, you can spend some time looking at the southwest form - your own and others - and then go back to the cave paintings. While you have an excellent example as to how it can be done, you also have your source material.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Just make the horses run in the opposite direction on future pieces and no one will know.

I would think you could do a design that might be simular to hers without it being considered plagiarism. Her ideas were probably influenced by Cave Art. Your work could be influenced by her, cave art or even Alley Oop -- if you are worried about it then give her credit for the idea. We borrow design ideas from other turners all the time. I look at my work and can not find a single idea that wasn't influenced from someone or something else. I wish in-fact, that I could copy her work close enough that it would be considered plagiarism.

Picasso said, "bad artists copy, good artists steal"

I agree that making a copy and selling it would be wrong, but certainly you can make if for yourself. However, there are a lot of turners doing Southwest based forms, I'm sure you can vary your idea enough to make it your own. For some similar inspiration try to look up Malcolm Ray from Maine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    I do think there are times when two or more people come up with similar ideas without knowledge of each other's piece, and that should bear out in minor nuances between the pieces.
    So true when I turned what I consider one of my best designs and several months later found nearly the exact same thing previously turned by Cyndi Drosda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wilson View Post
    I can't remember if it is original in my mind or if it is something I have seen in past years and it comes into my mind and I think it is original to me.
    I think I am guilty of this as well. Something about cognitive dysfunction comes to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    As a creative exercise, you can spend some time looking at the southwest form - your own and others - and then go back to the cave paintings. While you have an excellent example as to how it can be done, you also have your source material.
    I guess it boils down to who do we attribute our insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Just make the horses run in the opposite direction on future pieces and no one will know.
    I like it

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    Picasso said, "bad artists copy, good artists steal"
    Touche'!

When in Rome I learned that any ancient (even in the time of the Roman empire) Greek art they could not steal, they purchased; whatever they could not purchase, they copied.
    Guess I am just too sensitive about this issue.

I have never turned, but when I do, I intend to plagiarize for years before having an original idea.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

this is one of those horses that wont seem to die no matter how hard you beat it.........

David this piece is just beautiful!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Blog Entries
    No idea is original.

To 'Copy' a work, would be to copy it exactly. Too take the original and put it on a duplicator, turning, burning and painting. To work off the idea of another is not copying. If this were true, none of us could make anything, I've seen shapes turned here that are found in the pottery world. No one is calling that 'stealing.'
    Have a Nice Day!

I think Jon has an excellent point. Plagiarizing is defined thus:

"...to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source"

Anything short of that falls under the heading of "influence". I don't think there is an artist, living or dead who would not have an answer for the question, "Who has been your biggest influence." OK... there may be those who have no ideas of their own, regardless of how much exposure they may have had to "influences". It might be that they simply have never gotten in touch with that part of themselves from which ideas spring. But most people who are driven to work in a creative arena do not fall into this group. They do have ideas and often those ideas spring from the ideas of others. And sometimes, ideas just have a way of implanting themselves into more than one mind at a time. So you could easily have an idea for a work and then see that same idea executed by another with whom you have no contact with. If you had actualized your vision before they did, you would be getting the credit for the idea and they would be scratching their head asking the same question you are asking. However you look at it, influence is inevitable. Go ahead and make your piece. It probably will not look exactly like Molly's anyway. There's tons of artists out there who's work looks "similar"
    David DeCristoforo