Thread: Storing blades.....

Storing blades.....

I have a couple of dozen blades--10", 8", 7.25, 6 1/2, 5 1/2.... Many are old steel blades I rarely use but can't bring myself to scrap. I've never worked out a good system for storage. Thinking of making a storage box with a bunch of vertical dividers but I don't get around to it. Wondering how others store their blades (that don't have their own cases).

Alan

Get a suitable container that can hold mineral spirits and put the blade there. A tight sealing lid is needed. The blades will not rust and you can pick the one you want out by joining together blades of similar diameter with some scrap bailing wire.

Buy a plastic portable file box, you know the kind with a handle on the lid. Make a 1/8 masonite divider to place each blade in between and coat the blade with a rust preventor. Buy some cheap car vacuum hose at you local parts store and split one side to fit over the kerfs and file them away. You more common blades, I use those plastic blade holders and hang them on a hook.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling

I keep my blades on 1/2" dowels under the table extension on my table saw. I made a bunch of 1/8" masonite spacers so the blades don't touch each other. I keep the least used towards the back. I live in the desert, so what's the rust thing I keep hearing about?