Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best deal on a Powermatic 3520B

Best deal on a Powermatic 3520B

After lots of research, I've decided to pull the trigger on the PM 3520B. Can anyone coach me on how/where to get the best deal on this machine?

Thanks all.

Here's one...
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/2583193194.html

I have no affiliation with the seller.

A lot of folks have scored great deals from ToolNut.com.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Andrew,
    Be sure to look at the Black edition of PM tools. This is a special anniversary edition that has extra warranty time (I think 7 vs 5 years) and comes with the 18" extension, a handy item should you decide to do something long or 18" bigger in diameter.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Andrew, you do not list location, balance local price/service and +1 on toolnut.

I got mine from Todd Nevins of Nevins machinery. He was excellent and I thought I got a good deal too. I have no affiliation with them.
    Contact: Todd Nevins @ Nevins Machinery Concepts(508) 583-1333

I got my Jet from ToolNut.

WC has the black one w/ some 'free' accessories for $3999.99 and the website says free shipping. I drool over it everytime I walk in.

From their site.
    The Limited Edition 90th Anniversary Lathe comes with a 90 month warranty, an 18” bed extension, and a 27”x42” fatigue mat – $500 Value - FREE!

Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Thanks for the input everyone.

Amazon has the black one for $3999. I got mine from them and has free shipping and they set the thing in place in my garage for me. As above, this one has extension which I love. Even if don't need length, it lets you slide tailstock further out of the way when not needed. I don't have the black one, but like color better than all yellow, but color is minor. Other add ons make it worthwile though.

I would urge you to see if a local dealer will not match the best price available. I did that and got an excellent deal and the comfort of knowing that, if something went wrong, there was someone close by. I have, however, heard of great things about Toolnut, and the Amazon deal of setting the assembled machine in place sounds pretty good. Setting it up can take a good deal of time, and strength, so..... Still, I believe in buying local when possible.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Craft Supplies matched the lowest price I could find online, plus gave me a $50 gift certificate. Great people to deal with as well.

If you're going to buy one, I'd advise doing it this year. I was talking with a sales rep at Woodcraft and he mentioned that the price is going to increase by $1000 next year.

Noah

Andrew,

If you go into your local woodworking shop, such as Rockler or Woodcraft, and talk to the store manager they will usually drop 10% off the price. Definitely want to get the Onyx version (anniversary black paint job). Good Luck.

Noah -- Thanks for the heads up, and I do plan on buying this year, but I seriously doubt that the PM will see a $1k price increase next year. If the 3520B were $5k today, I would be deciding between a Oneway or a Robust instead. The only reason I'm going with the PM is because it does everything I will probably want it to do, and it is around $1k less than the Oneway (1640) or Robust (Sweet 16). As much as I drool over the superior quality of the Oneway and Robust, I simply can't justify the additional cost. At $5k, the PM 3520B wouldn't be competitive.

Of course, I am still kicking myself for holding off buying the PM last year before the latest price increase, so I could be wrong again.