Thread: Frustrating Corel Issues

Frustrating Corel Issues

Corel has been doing a couple things that aren't that big a deal but very irritating. Thought I'd ask some of you pros out there.

1 -- Is there any way to make Corel go to the same folder each time you click on Open? Mine goes to my Corel folder about 75% of the time and back to the main Documents folder the rest of the time. Sometimes it will go for days without doing this but other times it will do it every other time I open a file.

2 -- Take a look at the attched file (X4 & V10) and see if you can fill all the pieces with black. I can do some but others will not fill with any color even though the bottom right says the space has a fill. I even tried Smart fill which will fill some but then crashes Corel trying to do the last couple (tried this more than once). I know this isn't a big deal and I assume I'm just having a senior moment but little things can drive me nuts.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    Attached Files Attached Files
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Jeff for question number 2, I took a quick look and noticed that your curves are not closed which is why you can't get a fill done on it. I tried the close curve button but you have some extra nodes jumping across which won't help in getting a solid fill. I wish I had more time to look at it, but I'm on my way out the door. hopefully this helps you out some. Maybe someone here could delete the extra nodes for him??
    Ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Epilog Zing 16 (35 Watt)
    Vanguard 3000 (old rotary workhorse)
    Corel Draw 12 & X5
    Sublimation Ricoh GX7000
    Chapellaz's Trophies

Not sure but I think Corel always goes to the last folder you used.

Don't know if there is a way to force it to go to the same on or not.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Here is the turtle filled
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

Jeff, you have open paths that needs to be closed. I think you should re-draw with the bezier tool,then you will be sure the paths are closed.

As mentioned you have open paths. Here is all closed, top outlines bottom filled.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Thanks guys. I should have seen that. Like I said, a senior moment. BTW, when do the "Golden Years" start??

My Corel does not go to the last folder all the time. I can open one file and a minute later open a second and Corel will go to a different directory.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

PS: Yesterday had gale force winds and the first report of snow flurries in the area.
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Belany View Post

PS: Yesterday had gale force winds and the first report of snow flurries in the area.
    Don't say that! I'm heading up to Minoqua this afternoon to go Musky fishing for the weekend. Although I'll still be a couple of hours south of you, I hope these winds die down.
    Scott Challoner
    30W LaserPro Spirit (Need more power)
    30W Wisely Fiber Galvo

Another small quirk that just came up on a nametag job was off-centering of text when using print merge. I centered the outside cutline, centered the <name> field, ran the tags only to find they were right-of-center by about six points. When I purposely moved the field center to the left by the same amount, they were fine. Anybody know why? Using X3.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Anderson View Post
    Another small quirk that just came up on a nametag job was off-centering of text when using print merge. I centered the outside cutline, centered the <name> field, ran the tags only to find they were right-of-center by about six points. When I purposely moved the field center to the left by the same amount, they were fine. Anybody know why? Using X3.
    Corel has some issues (at least as of X4) with centering text, (probably?) due to offset bounding box metrics in TrueType fonts. Translation: the bounding box of a text string isn't necessarily centered on the visible text. Worse, the offset can change from font to font and string to string. (A strong case can be made that it's a Windows/font problem rather than a Corel problem, but that isn't particularly helpful.)

An easy fix is to convert text to curves and re-center, but obviously you can't do that when using print merge.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Not sure but I think Corel always goes to the last folder you used.
    Appears to be true, although I'm starting to think "last folder" is independent for 'open' and 'save as' (and possibly 'import' and 'export' as well), which can make its behavior appear random if you're a bit sleep-deprived.

What is extremely annoying is if that last folder it's looking for happens to be on a network drive that isn't accessible at the moment (e.g. the computer downstairs went to sleep), as it will lock up solid for a ridiculous length of time before finally giving up and whining about it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Lee,

you have the same experience I do with this! In PS they have an option that you can pick one of a handfulf of recent folder
    when You go to "Open" or "Save as" don't know if there is a way in Corel to sent a folder as a defualt.

Art,

I know this may not be the case for your project, but I thought I'd toss it out for future reference. With my Epilog, if I am
    doing a bunch of work that creates a bunch of dust sometimes the gears in the X-Axis motor gets clogged. This can cause misregistration
    between raster and vector cutting. It's an easy fix, take the X-Axis motor out and I use a pin to remove the dust from the gears.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I thought I remembered that we beat this text-centering thing to death awhile back...here it is:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132032-I-knew-I-wasn-t-crazy-Corel-text-center-isn-t-accurate..-How-do-I-fix

Sorry, Lee: Didn't mean to rehash old news.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Anderson View Post
    Sorry, Lee: Didn't mean to rehash old news.
    No worries, I just provided the link as background for those encountering this pseudo-bug for the first time.