Thread: Lower Peninsula Southeastern Michigan (Just West of Detroit) Plywood Sources

Lower Peninsula Southeastern Michigan (Just West of Detroit) Plywood Sources

Hi Guys and Gals,

Newbie - My name is Pete and I want to make a good quality desk for my Daughters to use to study at. I have a plan picked out and need 2 sheets of 3/4" Maple plywood. I have googled a bit and learned that I know nothing and that finding a reputable place to buy lumber from can be tricky. So I need your advice.

Where can I buy in my area (Wixom, Michigan)? I don't mind travelling a bit, but would like a trip of less than one day... I did find these possible sources (any thoughts?),

Mitchell Forest Products, Inc.
    Chesterfield, Michigan

586-648-7043
    L. L. Johnson Lumber Mfg. Co.
    Charlotte, Michigan

517-543-1660
    Quality Hardwoods, Inc.
    Sunfield, Michigan

517-566-8061
    Bond Plywood, Inc.
    Ferndale, Michigan

248-548-3150
    All American Plywood
    Detroit, Michigan

888-759-9663
    Plywood Detroit Inc.
    Warren, Michigan

586-755-4100

Also, what should I be asking for? From the posts here looks like I could use rotary cut veneer for the faces, but lots of recommendations to use other veneer methods. I donlt know how to specify this either. Just ask for any cut but rotary?

For the grade, A-1 seems to be the best (yes I just learned what that means so I could be wrong).

I also have no idea what thickness the veneers should be as a minimum.

What other factors?

So if I asked for "2 - 4' x 8' sheets of Plane sliced, A-1, 3/4" Maple Plywood with a minimum veneer of TBD" would I be too far off?

Thanks in advance for any help...

- Pete
    Last edited by Peter Stephens; 09-29-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Peter

Public Lumber in Detroit at 7 Mile and I-75 is the best I have found for plywood.
    They normally have several types of plywood in stock.
    They have Baltic Birch as well as Marine ply.
    several veneer plys are normally available.
    Old fashioned lumber company, good to deal with.

Good Luck

John Morrison
    Livonia, MI.
    Nt

L. L. Johnson Lumber Mfg. Co.
    Charlotte, Michigan

517-543-1660
    AKA Johnson's Workbench. should have what you want. I have been doing business with them for all my turning stock and it's very good. Now you may want to check out
    Woodcraft. out on
    39245 Van Dyke Highway
    Sterling Heights MI 48313
    Phone: (586) 268-1919
    Fax: (586) 268-4994
    sterlingheights-retail@woodcraft.com

ask for
    Louis Souvigney
    If you ain't Cheatin', You ain't tryin'...

"If A equals success, then the formula is, A = X + Y + Z, Where X is work, Y is play, And Z is keep your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein.

All American sells incredibly high quality stuff, but as far as I know they are wholesale-only. Luckily I've got a friend who has an account so he ordered some amazing 1/4" MDF-core cherry veneer stuff I used for cabinet door panels.

Drayton plywood. Waterford.
    http://www.draytonplywoodco.com/

D
    epending on what I need, there is Fingerle lumber in A.A.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Wow, Some great replies. I will be taking up your advice and visiting a few of the yards, talk to the hired hands, and see what I can find. Thanks for the great information guys. Will let you know what I find out.

Nice web site and close too!

Checked out both of these places online. LL Johnson has an impressive web site with lots of help intermingled with the lumber information. Woodcraft looks like a good place to go if you need other supplies. Thanks Andrew. P.S. Love you tag line. Got a little laugh out of it.

Looks like Drayton has some really high grade stuff. Good that both have a way to contact them over the internet on their web sites. Thanks Myk.

I will call them anyway. Perhaps they sell to someone in this area?

Fingerlee Lumber in Ann Arbor as well. I buy a lot from Johnsons as well but mostly hardwood. Chelsea Lumber is an awesome place to do business as well, in fact I will be down there next week to pick up a load of Azek for a job I am doing in Jackson. Price was worth the drive, and the service is excellent.

Larry

Kencraft in Toledo. Less than 1 hour from Wixom. Check their website. You won't be disappointed.

Kencraft is great but they don't carry a very large selection of plywood. Pretty much just phenolic, baltic birch, red oak, and prefinished maple. All great quality stuff.

Just down the street from them is Toledo Plywood which has a much bigger selection but they carry a wide range of quality and its not always real easy for the casual buyer (and I'd include myself there) to determine what you are getting I've gotten some great stuff there, and I've gotten some ply that opened up like a pita pocket when I cut it. I'll buy from Kencraft if they have it, All American if I can work out an order with my friend, then Toledo Plywood or Menards, who actually carries a decent selection of US-made plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stephens View Post
    Checked out both of these places online. LL Johnson has an impressive web site with lots of help intermingled with the lumber information. Woodcraft looks like a good place to go if you need other supplies. Thanks Andrew. P.S. Love you tag line. Got a little laugh out of it.
    At Johnson's they have a wood show every year the weekend after Labor day. Great deals that weekend.
    If you ain't Cheatin', You ain't tryin'...

"If A equals success, then the formula is, A = X + Y + Z, Where X is work, Y is play, And Z is keep your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein.