Thread: porter cable 4212 dovetail jig

Question porter cable 4212 dovetail jig

I just got this jig and the instruction book is very difficult to get it set up. Is there any videos, other instructions out there that make more sense

Woodsmith magazine has a TV program called The Woodsmith Shop and they did a segment making dovetails with the PC 4212. It seemed to me to be well done. Perhaps they have CD or DVD available.

Episode 307 of The Woodsmith Shop covers using this same jig. I've got it saved on my DVR so I can watch it and then go out to set mine up.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/episodes/season3/307/
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 09-30-2011 at 9:08 AM.

Greg,

I don't have the 4212, I have the old model 4112, and it was a little challenging to start, but after some hiccups on test pieces, it gives nice results. I had to re-read the instruction book several, that's several times slowly to see their meaning. Eventually it started to make sense. A video would help, but I haven't seen any recently, but I haven't checked either. Try Youtube. That's a reasonable bet for a demo. I have my 4112 mounted on a piece of 2" thick wood 6" deep and 32" wide with the length of bit depth needed for various thickness pieces already cut into the mounting so I don't have to make test pieces. Works pretty well. I've looked at the 4212 and the modifications they made from the old model 4112 looks like they made some needed improvements. Should work well once you've mastered the process.

In addition to the resources above, Porter-cable has a supplemental manual for this dovetail jig, too. It goes into more detail on use, but doesn't include initial setup.

You can search for it on their website. I found it here:
    http://servicenet.deltaportercable.com/Products/Detail?isId=true&productNumber=4212&selectedType=1 1398

Top tip, don't drop the bits on a hard floor DAMHIKT.

Second top tip. The jig is quite tippy. Don't let IT drop on the floor either. They don't bounce well. DAMHIKT either.

I built a small box with scrap plywood that I screwed the 4212 jig to.

Then I clamp that box in my jawhorse and it's a perfect portable setup for me. Or you can clamp the box to a work bench or secure in a work bench vise.

I agree that the instructions arn't the easiest to memorize and follow, but I know that I got great results when I did everything the right way.