Thread: Finish for cartridge pen brass

Finish for cartridge pen brass

The deer antler thread reminded me that I still need to come up with a better finish for the pens I make out of 308 brass and copper bullets. What are you using that provides corrosion protection for a long use?

Paul, the only really good coating I have heard of is clear powder coating. People say the powder coating gun you can buy at Harbor Freight works good but don't use their powder. I know nothing about powder coating so I don't know. I don't do anymore with my cartridge pens other than polish them. When someone wants one I tell them to get a can of Brasso if they want to keep it shinny.
    "We the People ........"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Paul, the only really good coating I have heard of is clear powder coating. People say the powder coating gun you can buy at Harbor Freight works good but don't use their powder. I know nothing about powder coating so I don't know. I don't do anymore with my cartridge pens other than polish them. When someone wants one I tell them to get a can of Brasso if they want to keep it shinny.
    I do pretty much what Paul does but I have had one returned to me for fitting a new refill(customer paid for) and it looked terrible so apparently they did not take my advice on getting some Brasso. So I re-shined it and put on a heavy coat of Deft clear gloss lacquer. I will be checking with them in a few months to see how it wears. I know the pen gets heavy use because it was a gift to them less then 6 months ago and they have used up a refill already. This time I sold them two new refills, one for a spare.
    Last edited by James Combs; 09-30-2011 at 11:18 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Paul I have done quit a few bullet pens and have now got a powder coating system. I bought the cheap one from Harbor Freight. It does come with a bit of a learning curve, But once you have wreaked a few you will get the hang of it. My problem is that I don't do enough of them to stay good at it. I tried a few with lacquer but just didn't look right.
    Hope this helps some.

Steve