Thread: Really Big Columns

Talking Really Big Columns

Hey Creekers. I turn on a Hapfo 7000 at work. Currently I am glueing stave to turn 16 1/4 diamter by 12' long columns. I need a heavy duty mt3 live center. The 1 I have is too long and the wieght of the column is making it wobble.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

I have had the same problem with really heavy turnings. You might want to look at a nice metal turning live center. I have been looking at Skoda brand centers.

Hutch

Currently I am glueing stave to turn 16 1/4 diamter by 12' long columns. I need a heavy duty mt3 live center. The 1 I have is too long and the wieght of the column is making it wobble.
    Mike , you might call craft supplies, ask for technical assistants. ask about item 130-2333,, revolving center chuck adapter . this chuck adapter threads onto the revolving center and allows a chuck or faceplate to be mounted on the revolving center. now this adapter fits the oneway revolving center and the jet , do not know what type of revolving center you have??? that may be your problem, upgrade to oneway mt3, but craft supplies technique assistant may know of another option.

I bought my MT4 at McMaster-Carr

Here is the same item in MT3 size
    900 pound working weight

5000 rpm

Part no. 3229A13

Price $100.37

It says economy live center but this for a metal lathe so it is much stronger than most wood tools.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#3229a13/=eahad3 Page 2514 in the online catalog
    Last edited by Mike Davis NC; 09-30-2011 at 4:10 PM.
    If I had six hours to chop down a tree I'd hire someone else to do it and put my time to better use.

for a metal lathe so it is much stronger than most wood tools.
    Mike, i believe you are right, $ its about same as some woodworking tapers too, one call away