Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance on new shop

Blog Entries
    Bummed, I was really looking forward to seeing it with all of your tools in place. I like the floor, but the posts would have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Lou, it is going to be a knitting room...you know that, don't you?
    I would be happy with that compared with a hair salon, or a scrapbooking center.
    - Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Bummed, I was really looking forward to seeing it with all of your tools in place. I like the floor, but the posts would have to go.
    I can take a picture of the Jointer, Planer, and Drill press that are sitting in crates in the garage. Looking forward to the moving company having to deal with lugging those things around.
    - Lou

Wow...I just read the whole thread and what an unexpected end to it!! Best of luck with the new opportunity!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The saga continues! We signed papers on having another house built. It will be delivered around Mid-November. The workshop will have roughly 425 square feet of space (a touch smaller than what I had at the last house). Getting 10 foot ceilings is not an option, but I will have 9 foot ceilings down there. Here is a layout of the basement. Can't wait to get in there and get moving.

WorkshopNew.jpg
    - Lou

Lou, you'll have to keep us up to speed. Though, I'm thinking "recreation room 1" and "workshop" ought to be switched, or better yet, combined!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Lou, you'll have to keep us up to speed. Though, I'm thinking "recreation room 1" and "workshop" ought to be switched, or better yet, combined!
    You know I tried. The boss put the kybosh on that one immediately!
    - Lou

We will be in the new house in about 4 weeks. Can't wait! Here is a more detailed layout of the shop. Looking forward to getting in there!

Shop.jpg
    - Lou

The contractor starts finishing our basement tomorrow. Which means my shop will be ready to roll in a few weeks! There are already 2 (110) outlets in there. I spec'd out 18 more (110) outlets and 2 (220) outlets.

I need to give this guy an electrical diagram on Tuesday.

My jointer is 220 - everything else is 110. I am not sure if I will be getting any more 220 machines, but I am having the electrician put in 2 (220) outlets.

Check out this layout. Thoughts? I am trying to figure out where to put that other 220 outlet. What do you think? Where would you put it?

What do you think on the overall shop layout? What would you change?

Thanks,
    LouShop01.jpg
    - Lou

I would install the second 220 outlet midway along the 19' wall on the left in case you upgrade your table saw to a 220 V unit or add other equipment in that area.

Lou, the quick answer is to put 220 anywhere you "might" put a machine. You might upgrade (HA! you WILL upgrade) at some point. You don't want to be nailed down to 110 machines. If/when you are looking for a new machine, you don't want to have to pass up on a good deal on a piece of equipment because it is 220 and you don't have an outlet for it. Hey, if you buy ONE used 220 machine at a steal, it can pay for the cost of running 220 throughout your shop. It also opens you up to finding great deals on 3 phase machines...all you have to do is put a VFD on it and you'll get a great machine for a great price. I happened into a PM30B (I think that is what the number is)...a 12" disc/6" belt sander. It is 3 phase. Got it for $250, in very good condition I might add. I put a $150 VFD on it, so for about $400 I basically got a single phase machine. These run about $900 used usually...in single phase. Bottom line, put 220 everywhere you "might" put a machine. I'm guessing that would be about 7-10 of them. They can all be 20 amp. Put in one at 30 amps, too (where you will/might put a compressor). Never know if you'll end up with a 60 or 80 gallon unit. You might not dream of it now, but you never know...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    I would install the second 220 outlet midway along the 19' wall on the left in case you upgrade your table saw to a 220 V unit or add other equipment in that area.
    Thanks Robert. I think that is a good plan.
    - Lou

Lou, the quick answer is to put 220 anywhere you "might" put a machine. You might upgrade (HA! you WILL upgrade) at some point. You don't want to be nailed down to 110 machines. If/when you are looking for a new machine, you don't want to have to pass up on a good deal on a piece of equipment because it is 220 and you don't have an outlet for it. Hey, if you buy ONE used 220 machine at a steal, it can pay for the cost of running 220 throughout your shop. It also opens you up to finding great deals on 3 phase machines...all you have to do is put a VFD on it and you'll get a great machine for a great price. I happened into a PM30B (I think that is what the number is)...a 12" disc/6" belt sander. It is 3 phase. Got it for $250, in very good condition I might add. I put a $150 VFD on it, so for about $400 I basically got a single phase machine. These run about $900 used usually...in single phase. Bottom line, put 220 everywhere you "might" put a machine. I'm guessing that would be about 7-10 of them. They can all be 20 amp. Put in one at 30 amps, too (where you will/might put a compressor). Never know if you'll end up with a 60 or 80 gallon unit. You might not dream of it now, but you never know...
    Hey Mike. The "boss" saw your reply and joked that I don't need any help or encouragement in spending more cash on tools and the like...
    - Lou

Blog Entries
    I would definitely put a 220 (or is it 240) outlet at the dust collector. Even though you may not need it now, if you ever upgrade to a cyclone, they are all 240 volts. The other issue is will he be installing them on a 20 amp or 30 amp circuit? You will probably be ok with 20 amp circuits, but 30 amp gives you more flexibility for machine choice down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I would definitely put a 220 (or is it 240) outlet at the dust collector. Even though you may not need it now, if you ever upgrade to a cyclone, they are all 240 volts. The other issue is will he be installing them on a 20 amp or 30 amp circuit? You will probably be ok with 20 amp circuits, but 30 amp gives you more flexibility for machine choice down the road.
    Each of the 220 (240) outlets are installed on their own 30 amp circuit. The 20 (110) outlets are installed across 6 (six) 20 amp circuits. The lights are installed across 2 circuits.
    - Lou