Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glaser 10V gouge is here!!!!

Glaser 10V gouge is here!!!!

I received a new 10V Glaser a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share my thoughts on the tool.
    I will start this thread off by saying this is NOT a comparison meant to plug one tool over another, instead just trying to share info.
    I have for a long time wanted a Glaser gouge, being a tool junky, while looking through woodturning books theres always a photo of tools used by the big name turners and 9 out of 10 times there will be a Glaser gouge in the group. This has always stuck in the back of my mind as a tool that I must have. It wasn't until this past summer that I saw them offered again. Now that I've had a chance to use the tool I know why you see so many shown in woodturning books. The fit and finish couldn't get any better except for the way the tool holds an edge. I've turned two hollow forms and finish turned one bowl with going to the grinder twice for a very light touch up. So light in fact that I have not even ground the whole bevel yet. I changed the angle to a slightly steeper angle!! The tool handle with the lead shot really feels good in your hand along with the ribs on the handle which allow for a lighter grip than a smooth round handle would.
    Paulo also sent me an e-mail thanking me for the business, which was unexpected. So to sum it all up Glaser gets an A+ in terms of a great tool and great customer service. In fact my second gouge is being ordered today for Santa to deliver!!! The newest one will be the 15V. Did I mention that I'm a tool junky!!!

Hi Bill,

Let me congratulate you on your newest arrival to the shop! I've had the 1/2 inch 15v since June and absolutely love it! And as you said, the fit and finish of the Glaser is second to none. No....I'm not on anybody's payroll...I'm just happy as can be to be working my hobbie with what I consider to be the best woodturning tools available. I bought the best because I'm worth it. I work hard enough at my day job. A personal reward is good for the soul. And I like to gloat about it!

I also bought the 5/8 inch 15V and talk about performance! The lead (real lead) shot really dampens vibration. And as you mentioned, Bill, this sucker holds an edge. Paulo told me to take a diamond card and hone the edge. Back in business.

Enjoy your new Glaser gouge, Bill...I am!

It's always nice to hear about a positive experience with a vendor... Congrats on your new 'Excaliber'!

If you are using a 10V tool and get a 15V, the 15V will feel very familiar in your hands with the only real dif being maybe not quite so many trips to the grinder! I'm waiting for a few new Glaser tools myself and I know of one other guy who is waiting for some too. Sometimes it's hard to figure out the real motivation... making something or using tools. I know guys who hunt ducks mostly because they like shooting more than they do eating ducks!
    David DeCristoforo

Bill,
    I've had the 1/2" 15V for a few months and though I own a couple other 1/2" gouges, I also must say it has become my favorite. I had a learning curve because of the u shape. I found it a bit aggressive at first but I soon learned how to present it to the wood. I still like my Doug V shape gouge and use it often but I enjoy the Glaser enough that I am ready to buy the 5/8" 15V. It does stay sharp longer than any other tools and requires an extremely light touch on the grinder but is a joy to use. I find it is really simple to take a continuous cut down the inside wall and across the bottom of a deep bowl as long as I have the curved tool rest fairly close to the cutting surface. The handle is wonderful. The grip is sure and I can hold it near the end or grasp it near the top while tucking the end under my elbow and both positions are sure and comfortable. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
    faust

Just an FYI here, the shape of the Glaser gouges is not a U shape. It is oval and, as such, a sharper edge when compared to other brands ..

I must agree with everything that has been said already. Over the past few months I have purchased 3 Glaser gouges from GlaserHiTec truly amazed woth the engineering of each gouge. Being a relatively new turner, these gouges have made my turning experiences more gratifying than I could have imagined. These gouges appear to make me a better turner than I really am at this point.

Secondly it has been extremely gratifying to experience the attention that Paulo Marin gives to each customer. He makes you feel like you are part of his family. He is always there to followup on the purchase and happily answers each naive question that I have. I can truthfully say that I expect to be a GlaserHiTec customer for a long long time.
    Last edited by Jim Heikes; 10-04-2011 at 7:04 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Harvey Gesser Said

Just an FYI here, the shape of the Glaser gouges is not a U shape. It is oval and, as such, a sharper edge when compared to other brands ..
    Really, please explain how the shape of the tool has anything to do with how sharp it can be made? Just curious.

Alan

Alan, the Glaser is on the left. Which gouge does more damage?

Oval V U #1.jpg

I'm not sure I follow you either, Harvey. I can't figure out how sharp and flute shape relate to one another. Of the two tool you showed, the one on the right looks to have more beef under the cutting edge which I think would allow me to be more aggressive, but I could screw up a perfectly good piece of wood with either one.

What you said was how sharp the edge was not the thickness of the gouge. Either gouge of the same type of material and heat treating can be sharpened to the same level no matter the profile of the flute. Either of those gouges has specific uses. The one on the right will be better to have a long distance over the tool rest as the thicker cross section will have less vibration. The one on the left will take a more aggressive cut. Different tools for different task.

Bill by the way congratulations on your tool purchase enjoy.

Alan

David, more beef under the cutting edge means less flute. The thinner flute you've got, the sharper and meaner the cut. Besides, how far away from the tool rest do you really want to go? In comparing both gouges, I prefer the Glaser as I get a sharper flute.

I see what you're saying, but it seems the bevel angle has more to do with the acuity of the cutting edge... By your logic, thinner skews would be more desirable, but I find just the opposite to be true.

I'm not knocking the Glaser tools at all, and Paulo seems like a wonderful man. I hear nothing but rave reviews from Glaser owners, and I've never heard anyone question the Glaser customer service. I've never had the good fortune of using a Glaser tool, but perhaps my luck will change one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I see what you're saying, but it seems the bevel angle has more to do with the acuity of the cutting edge... By your logic, thinner skews would be more desirable, but I find just the opposite to be true.

I'm not knocking the Glaser tools at all, and Paulo seems like a wonderful man. I hear nothing but rave reviews from Glaser owners, and I've never heard anyone question the Glaser customer service. I've never had the good fortune of using a Glaser tool, but perhaps my luck will change one of these days.
    Skews are a horse of a different color and they don't work well on bowls so I can't comment....but David, I hope your luck changes but until then, I'm sure you will enjoy your current gouges. I've seen your work and it's beautiful.

As I understand it, the longer wing is more useful if you make shearing cuts on the wing. For work using only the nose of the tool, there is not much difference. The two tools pictured each have their strengths and weaknesses. It seems like a waste of time to argue about which is "better". It's going to depend on the kind of work you want to do. I don't make a lot of bowls nor do I make a lot of heavy cuts with the tool hanging way out over the rest. So for me, the deeper flute works out better. For someone who does make a lot of bowls and needs a more robust tool, the shallower flute will probably work well. The actual sharpness of the cutting edge has nothing to do with the shape of the flute.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 10-03-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    David DeCristoforo