Thread: Spray finishing in a residential area

Spray finishing in a residential area

I live on a 1/2 acre lot in a residential area. If I build a spray booth and get into spray finishing (nitrocellulose lacquer and shellac), how likely is it that the average neighbor will be bothered by the smell?

It depends on how much you do. If you're spraying an occasional knick-knack, probably you won't bother the neighbors. If you're spraying full-size furniture, your neighbors will definitely smell the solvents. Alcohol from shellac isn't too bothersome. But the solvents for nitrocellulose are stinky, and toxic. If a neighbor recognizes that odor, you're in for trouble.

Depends how and where you direct the exhaust. And, which way the wind is blowing. Best thing is to build the neighbors something from time to time.
    Howie.........

I spray with HVLP using shellac and waterbourne finishes. Never an issue.

Shellac and WB - I would (and do) do it any time I needed to. NC I would not just because the solvents are nasty, stinky and if your neighbor wanted to make a claim of some type that your using a high voc solvent caused some type of damage the burden of proof would be on you. And it may turn out that they would be correct.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I spray varnish and WB every day that its not raining for years, no problem. The mist dissipates pretty quickly and during day, most neighbors are at work. I'm only shooting small objects so I would be careful about overdoing it and where the prevailing winds are going to take it.

Thanks for the input. I'll stick with shellac and WB finishes.