Thread: Pen Finish question

Pen Finish question

OK guys I have turned a few Pens over the years and Ive always wondered if there is a better finish than the (Hut Crystal coat {High gloss}) or the Renaissance wax ? Dont get me wrong ,I like those finishes but they are more satin finish after you handle the pen for a couple of weeks..Is there somthing that stays high gloss for a longer amount time? ... Maybe a high gloss Poly?
    Thanks in advance Seth...
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

There are some threads here on using CA glue for a finish. Super durable super and easy to apply. It can be buffed to a pretty high gloss as well.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Seth, I use straight Thin CA on my pens and when finished they look like a piece of glass. It's very durable and will hold a shine.It's pretty simple. I can go from a 600 grit sanding to a CA finish in about 2-3 minutes. Start with your pen sanded to 600 grit. Next I remove the blank from the manderl and add a touch of paste wax to the ends so the CA doesn't glue the blank to the bushings. Next,put it back on the lathe and place a towel on the lathe bed.Fold a paper towel until its about 1/2" wide and turn your lathe speed down to about 300-350 rpm. Lay one end of the paper towel under the blank and let 3-5 drops of glue go on the blank while you slide the paper towel up and down the barrel 2-3 times. Spray on 1 shot of accelerator. Then repeat the same process. I can put on about 8 coats in about a min. or so. Turn your lathe up to around 800-900rpms. Then using the MM pads from 1500 to 12000 wet sand the blank making sure the blank stays wet. After that use a quick shot of Huts plastic polish and you are done. It sounds like alot but I do the entire process in just a couple of minutes from start to finish.Try it and you will see a dramatic difference.

I've WOP on a few oily woods in the last few weeks. Every now and then CA and oily wood don't see eye to eye. It really goes on like glass.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Check out this video by Eddie Castelin on youtube. This is where I learned to CA finish. I have yet to meet a piece of wood that would not take it......I'm sure they are out there though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/capneddi.../4/_KMa_hWMMoM
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

In all fairness there is a learning curve to the way you ultimately decide how to apply it.. Carl

I started using a finish from General Finishes called Woodturners Finish. It is a water/oil hybrid poly. Works quite well and has a nice shine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chris Thanks for the link, I needed a good laugh and Cap. Eddie's first couple of minutes did the trick. He also shows a simple way to finish a pen, but the first few minutes are my favorite.
    Jack

Blog Entries
    In my opinion CA is the best finish for a pen. High gloss and extremely durable. I think the plating of the metal will wear off before the CA will.
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    In my opinion CA is the best finish for a pen. High gloss and extremely durable. I think the plating of the metal will wear off before the CA will.
    Ditto Jon's comment.

"The best things in life are not things."

Wow- Thanks guys for all your info, C.A. it is !! I have a pen ready to go on the mandrel ,but I think Ill take it off and try some practice runs before I do it on the good one I just finished...i wouldnt have thought that C.A. would be a good finish
    Ill be sure and stock up on some T.P. too!
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

+6 for the CA. WARNING! sometimes it can be frustrating. I tried a lot of different "youtube" video methods with 50/50 results; in frustration I ended up buying a video from a guy named Eric Anderson (no affiliation to him); google his name & CA and you'll get his site. Ever since, my pens have been flawless. He also offers a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. As to the Ren Wax, that is a good LAST step after the CA has cured.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand