Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas to Rip Cut a Tube

Need Ideas to Rip Cut a Tube

I have a lexan tube that I need to "rip" down the center to make two semi-circle halves. The tube is about 10" diameter and about 2 foot long. I'm worried about guiding this accurately to make a straight cut and also chip-out of the Lexan. To be safe, I thought I would use a metal cutting blade on my MM16 bandsaw.

Does anyone have any good ideas to keep the cut true and not ruin the tube.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

sacrificial wooden trough?

Put the tube in a v shaped trough and cut through both.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    sacrificial wooden trough?

Put the tube in a v shaped trough and cut through both.
    Yep. Can't speak about chip out for your material, but I was asked to rip some small pvc pipe in half lengthwise. I made an open-bottomed box and ripped the pcs on the table saw against the fence. worked very well. Something similar should work for your application, probably on bandsaw though for that size unless you can rip-and-flip.

When I cut Makrolon, Bayer's version of Lexan, on the TS I didn't have chipout problems but I did get some melted slag on the back side of the cut. Not enough to be a problem for my use but something to be aware of. Fine teeth may actually not work as well as courser teeth, but I'd contact the blade manufacturer for advise.

Blog Entries
    If internal tearout is a concern, one wasteful way to mitigate that would be to put a wooden dowel inside that matches the ID of the acrylic tube.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

yeah but his tube is 10" diameter!!

can the blade be reverse on the saw so that it are cutting backward,

I would make a C shaped holder the same height as the tubes od and just long enough for the tube to fit snugly. Use a length of all-thread to hold the tube firmly. Cut one side, flip over and cut the other side. Use masking tape on the inside of the tube on the cut line. Would take a few minutes to make, but you would be able to do the cut safely.

We call that a carefully turned stump! :-0
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

An open on top 10" box, 3' long, a router with a quicky auxillary 1/4" hardboard base 12" long with a fence screwed to it 5" from center and a small veining bit.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I'd use the BS, make a sled with some v blocks and a piece of plywood you cut through, a little hot melt glue to keep the tube in place through the cut, not sure the best blade for lexan. I could also see making a 10" box around the tube, putting plywood on the ends and cutting it on the TS, cut/flip end for end, cut again...the plywood on the ends keeps the things together as your lexan is probably not much more that 1/4" thick?

I would make a right angle carriage for table saw. Bottom leg needs to be 5" wide from where it meets the vertical leg, and vertical leg needs to be over 5" high from top of bottom leg. Using 3/4 ply, bottom piece would be 5" and vertical piece would be at least 7" high to allow clamping the pipe to carriage. Clamp pipe to carriage, and cut bottom, them rotate pipe 180 degrees, clamp to carriage and make second cut.

cut 2 10" squares with a hole in the EXACT middle, put a through bolt (ie ready rod) through it and tighten up. Raise the blade just enough to cut the tube and then turn it over and do the other side.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

If you cut it on the TS use an 80 tooth blade. We use a Freud 80 tooth TCG blade without any chip out or slag problems. If you use the bandsaw many options would keep the tube level. Quickest and easiest would be to glue a sacrificial sqaure of wood to each end and cut through that.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I cut plastic pipe on the tablesaw, and I have cut flat Lexan on the tablesaw with no issues.

What I do for pipe is make an L out of plywood, the side that is vertical a bit more than 1/2 the pipe diameter on the inside, in you case 5"+. The lower part of the L that is horizontal I make wide enough that it is it is a bit more than 1/2 the pipe diameter on the inside. I screw the pipe to the vertical at each end cradled in the L and run a bead of hot melt down the length to stabilize, then run it through the saw with the blade just coming through the lower side, flip and repeat for the other side.

In my opinion it is too hard to control roll cutting pipe on a bandsaw freehand in a trough. Tried it and got better results from the tablesaw. I have a tablesaw blade made for plastics, but can't really tell you what is different about it, never really looked.

Larry