Thread: 4 inch ginger jar. Do I sand the interior?

Mulino, Oregon, US (thirty miles South of Portland)
    Blog Entries

4 inch ginger jar. Do I sand the interior?

This is what's on my lathe. It's been hanging around the shop for two years waiting to be finished.IM000077.jpg
    It's a four inch ginger jar. Do I try to sand inside it or just glue the top on? The opening is too small for my hand to fit in.

Plus here's a picture of the red and white peppermill I'm in the process of making. I didn't want everyone to think I gave up on it. Just need to make a top for it and turn it.
    IM000078.jpg
    There's nothing like a smooth running day in the shop.........at least at my house.

I'm not much help on the Ginger jar but the peppermill will look awesome when its finished.

I'm not real sure what a Ginger Jar is...but going on the assumption that its a jar you put ginger in...personally, sanding isn't necessary but I'd probably get it as smooth and burnished as possible so nothing soaked into the wood.

no comments on the pretty ginger jar or the pretty peppermill but I want to know what the item close to your peppermill is, cork screw or bottle stopper ?

Blog Entries
    I think ginger jar is just the name of the shape. I had a book with the instructions in it but I think I took it back to the club. Cork screw? The egg shaped thingy is a failed Christmas ornament. The segmented thing is what was left over from my umbrella. Ron bought a Beall spindle tap so we just glue stuff on that to turn.
    There's nothing like a smooth running day in the shop.........at least at my house.

I would try to sand the interior with a flap sander or by wrapping some sandpaper around a foam ball on end of a stick. I have seen the adhesive backed sanding disks done that way. One frugal turner (name withheld to protect the famous) saves his used adhesive disks for that purpose. The least would be to sand down to finger depth if you can do that safely.

Betty looks like you could use a 2" disk on a soft backing and an extension to do a decent job sanding. I always sand the inside if it's possible. There is a small flap sander that fits on a dremel type tool that might work, I have the sander but the dremel left in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    no comments on the pretty ginger jar or the pretty peppermill but I want to know what the item close to your peppermill is, cork screw or bottle stopper ?
    I bet the piece you are looking at is a x-mas orniment. That is what it looks like anyway.

I would try and sand as much as I could at the opening and forget the rest.

Betty: will the top open? If so sand the piece. If you glue the top on, why sand it??? The peppermill looks great so far..good luck with it & I look forward to seeing it finished

Blog Entries
    Sounds like I sand it. Good news is Ron and I won quite a few of those little velcro backed sanding discs at the NWWT club last night. They were cleaning out their glue and sanding disc supplies. Plus I won the Christmas Ornament challenge ( I was the only entrant) so I got a twenty dollar gift certificate. I'm going to look at the hand held sanders at Rocklers. Thanks all.

I may be the laziest one here, but I'd just hone up my scraper and 'sand' it with that.

Blog Entries
    Great idea Prashun. It feels pretty smooth when I scrape it and only those nitpicky woodturners are gonna get their grubby hands inside it anyway.