Thread: Antique Pine and Cherry Coffee Table

Antique Pine and Cherry Coffee Table

My father in law brought me a dirty old piece of pine he found in an old garage in Pennsylvania that he thought i might be able to use for something. I set it aside for quite a while but recently turned it into this table. The piece of pine wasn't quite wide enough, so i added a piece of cherry to the center, and made the base out of 1 board of cherry that i had left over from a previous project. The dimensions of the base were based on trying to get all the pieces i needed from this one 4/4 x 8' x 6" board. the top is about 42 x 21 and it's about 18" tall. I didn't really clean up the pine at all on the bottom (except for a little handplaning to flatten it a bit) because i thought it might be interesting to see that it was reclaimed if you care to look close enough.

As usual, there are few things I wish I had done differently and/or better but I am happy. I considered trying to do something to even out the color variation in the top, but decided against it... I hope that was the right move.

I really love old pine, and cherry's not so bad either!

CIMG8337.jpgCIMG8338.jpgCIMG8342.jpgCIMG8339.jpg

Nicely done! I'd be curious to see the coloring on the top in a year.

Blog Entries
    Great looking table.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Nicely done! I'd be curious to see the coloring on the top in a year.
    Me too... The pine is light on the one side and really blends in pretty well with the cherry in it's current state... I know that cherry will darken and i'm pretty sure the pine will too if the old heart pine floors in my house are any indication. Unfortunately it sold at auction so I don't know where it'll be in a year. I did include a little write up though warning of color change over time...