Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rip blade is needed

Question A rip blade is needed

Not looking for a "glue-line" rip. This would be for some down and dirty, nasty, naily wood. I have some "barn wood" that needs to be resawn down. I'm talking a few rafters that are a full 2' thick, by 4-3/4" wide. I can get 95% of the old nails out of this Ash/Oak wood, but some are buried inside. I just need a heavy duty rip blade for my 10" tablesaw. Nothing real fancy, maybe a "demo" style carbide type .

What saw will this be done on? If your saw can handle a full-kerf blade, any decent branded 24 tooth rip blade should be fine...

I would get a few cheap skil saw blades. Even HSS would do the trick. Hit a nail and toss it.
    The size difference should still allow for a rip cut in a 2X.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

a craftsman "Frankensaw" A 10" contractor's saw. I use full kerf all the time. Heading for Menards this weekend to look around.

As suggested earlier, inexpensive 7-1/4" blades would do fine. Nail cutting carbide is available, so a custom blade could be made for you. You aren't doing this for a living so the benefits may not outweigh the cost.

Jerrimy
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

I have a carbide nail cutting blade for my 7 1/4 Skilsaw. It will happily cut through nails with all the teeth left intact. The teeth have a negative rake, so it doesn't cut very fast. Perhaps such a blade exists in 10" for your saw.

Sounds like ya need a metal detector first. You can spend a little to save a bunch on blades.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Maybe a rare earth magnet on a simple hand held fixture to draw along the cut line and see if it sticks anywhere.

When I have to do a job that I know is going to destroy a blade, I pull out the FS Tool and put in a cheap Irwin. They are very tough, will cut a lot of nails, and actually do a decent cut.

Larry

Wound up with a $14 SKIL blade. 10", 28 teeth carbide. Nice and cheap. Hit a few old cut nail ends, didn't seem to bother it. For about $4 more, I could have got a 40 tooth blade to go with it. processed about 150 bf of OLD oak tonight with that blade.

Keep these Ondrud blades in mind for next time.....very tough price to quality ratio to beat IMO.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Keep these Ondrud blades in mind for next time.....very tough price to quality ratio to beat IMO.
    Thanks Scott. Great prices and free delivery on German made blades! Have you ordered from them? Is it to good to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Thanks Scott. Great prices and free delivery on German made blades! Have you ordered from them? Is it to good to be true?
    I have, and it's not! (I've bought 3) They're very good blades at dirt cheap prices. Owned and made by Leitz.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Steven, you don't have any extra money at this time to buy a blade. Put it on a back burner for a future purchase when you get back on your feet.

I had a little bit of funding come through. It was cheaper this way than trying to get about 10 other blades resharpened. I'm back to work, chap 7 will wipe out a lot of old debts, and I can start anew. In 18 months, I'll start getting a monthly check from "Uncle Sugar" as a retirement. Tri-care Ins. too boot. I retired from the "Weekend Wonders" in '96, and have been in the Retired/Reserves since then. Along with some prior service, I have been "at it" since '71. 42 years aught to count for something, right?