Thread: Double Square

Double Square

I teach a class on hand cut dovetails and in that class, I have my students use a small square to mark the tails. I like double squares and needed a couple more for the class so I ordered two of this one from Amazon. While it's inexpensive, I found it to be a good product. Also, it was free shipping. If you're looking for a small (4") double square at a reasonable price, I can recommend this one.

I am in no way affiliated with the company who makes or sells them. Just wanted to pass this along.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That price is just right. Thanks for the heads up because it's tough to buy a brand that doesn't have much of a history. I ALMOST bought quint's straight edge but I ended up with a starrett. Seems like Quint gets a lot of decent reviews so I think i'll give them a try in the future.

I bought a Oneway Multigauge from your woodcraft yesterday and I'm pretty sure the manager knows me because he gave me 10% off. It's the things like that which make me support my local woodcraft. I've been meaning to take one of your classes and will eventually, I've just been swamped.

That's a very nice price. I bought Rockler's version a few years ago on one of their sales and use it a lot. The Rockler looks identical to the iGauging but it is now $33.

I just took a 4" double square out of the box from Lee Valley about 10 minutes ago. It was considerably more than the one you listed. Typical of my luck -- I could have used that tip a couple days ago. I just might pick up an Amazon one too...

I have the PEC Tools 4" double square, also from Amazon, for about twice the price. I also have two of the IGaging double squares which I bought on Ebay for about the same price as on Amazon. I keep the PEC square in my apron pocket in my shop at home, and use the cheaper IGaging at school, where it's more likely to get dropped or damaged by a student. The IGaging squares are an excellent value and would make a good student square, but I had to do some deburring with a needle file and fine sandpaper to make it operate more smoothly. The PEC was good to go out of the box. No matter which one you get, they are an amazingly handy little tool and I use them all the time.