Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest from CPSC on the Tablesaw Issue

Latest from CPSC on the Tablesaw Issue

Here is the latest from the CPSC on tablesaws. You can follow the previous link, but it was short enough so I just copied it below. I'm sure all the magazines and their E-zines will carry this and provide info how we can comment. I added the red bolding and underline- this pretty much says which way the CPSC is leaning unless they get an overwhelming number of comments with alternatives. I'm not sure what it will take to dissuade them.

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    4330 East West Highway
    Bethesda, MD 20814

STATEMENT OF COMMISSIONER ROBERT S. ADLER REGARDING THE ADVANCE NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING (ANPR)
    FOR TABLE SAWS

October 5, 2011

Today, I joined my fellow Commissioners in unanimously approving the Commission staff’s recommendation to publish an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR) for table saws. This is the first step on the road to a possible mandatory performance standard. I did so with a sense that we have reached a critical point with this issue.

Shortly after I joined the Commission in 2009, I saw a demonstration of a braking mechanism for table saws, called SawStop, which would stop a saw blade instantaneously upon encountering someone’s finger or hand. This led me to take a look at the injury data for table saws. The injuries associated with this product are horrific – deep lacerations to the arms and hands, broken bones and, worst of all, amputations to fingers and thumbs. Injuries like these often leave victims facing long, painful recoveries as well as significant financial hardship and employment challenges. I have met a number of these individuals, and, as far as I could tell, every one of them was an experienced woodworker who made a single small misstep or had a momentary lapse in attention – with ghastly consequences. To my mind, small errors like these should not produce tragic results on such a grand scale. In the case of table saws, roughly 36,000 blade contact injuries occur annually, with about 10 percent of them resulting in amputations.1

Since 2003, the federal government has known that SawStop’s flesh-sensing technology seems to virtually eliminate the amputations and severe lacerations that result from contact with a blade saw. Over the years, no one has stepped forward to challenge the efficacy of this technology. I realize that serious policy issues remain regarding how best to address table saw injuries, but I think that if someone had evidence that this new technology didn’t work, we would have heard from that person.

1 I note that a disproportionate number of the injured appear to be Americans 65 and older – a matter of great concern to me. I welcome any comments on specific steps that the agency might take to address safety issues with table saws for this increasingly vulnerable group of consumers.

I am also aware there are other competing technologies to SawStop that have yet to be brought to market. I know, for example, that the Power Tool Institute has developed flesh-sensing technology. Further, I have met with a gentleman named Dave Butler whose company, Whirlwind Tool Company, is seeking to patent a similar technology. I hope efforts on these and other fronts will continue. Although I find myself extremely impressed by the SawStop technology, I am not in favor of writing a standard that would result in mandating a patented technology if such a result is avoidable.

On this point, I note that when CPSC writes product safety standards, we do not mandate a particular technology. We write performance standards and leave it to manufacturers to decide how to meet them. Of course, simply writing a performance standard doesn’t automatically guarantee that other technologies will find their way to the market, but I remain hopeful that they will.

My personal preference is that the table saw industry finds a way to adopt a voluntary standard that would substantially reduce or eliminate these 36,000 annual injuries. Flesh-sensing technology is definitely one solution that they should consider. Whether there are other approaches that are equally effective, I leave to them at the moment.

Our job is to work on behalf of consumers, keeping in mind that the cost of the safety must be reasonable. In making this point, I note that CPSC staff estimates the annual cost of table saw injuries in the billions of dollars. I also note the serious concerns in the industry about new technology adding considerably to the price of this product. This, of course, explains why the Commission wants to publish an ANPR: we need to gather more data on costs and benefits.

Our comment period closes in 60 days. I cannot stress how important it is for all interested parties to weigh in on the ANPR. Comments from the public inform and enlighten us as to whether moving forward with this mandatory rulemaking is necessary and, if so, exactly what direction it should take.

I know the Commission stands ready to work collaboratively with all parties on important safety improvements. Now that we have reached this critical moment it is in the interests of all stakeholders, especially consumers, that the table saw industry, including Mr. Gass and other inventors, and the Commission continue to work together to improve table saw safety.

Here we go.Preface - I own a sawstop and like it a lot. It is a well built saw.Now, trying to be compliant to the TOS.....I think all I will say is that I am not sure I like where this is going. I hope to find out where I can give my proper feedback to the CPSC
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Not unexpected, in my opinion.

It's difficult to argue against a proven safety improvement unless there are serious obstacles to the implementation.

The manufacturers now have the ball in their court, if they can develop other safety features that prevent blade contact, or like SS drastically reduce the injuries associated with blade contact, the legislation will be very generic and broad.

The public also has the ball in their court, can we as users of the machinery voluntarily reduce our injury rate? Unfortunately I doubt that we can, as we already have the tools to reduce injuries and yet we often don't use them.

Change is always upsetting, however I doubt that anyone seriously doesn't want a safety improvement in power tools.

Regardless of what direction this course eventually follows, it may be 10 years before we see any actual changes or come up against the deadlines imposed.

Regards, Rod.

WOW, what a neat way to increase the cost of tablesaws by $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by fRED mCnEILL View Post
    WOW, what a neat way to increase the cost of tablesaws by $1000.
    Fred, that's a big assumption.

Just for the sake of discussion, how about a non removable guard of some description?

They are looking for alternate solutions, and I predict it will be not very expensive............Rod.

I hope they do something to cut down on the number of accidents. Yesterday, I saw an old woodworking friend that I hadn't seen in a while. He had cut his index finger to the bone on his Unisaw. They had to fuse the bone so he can't bend that finger any more. Adding safety features to saws wouldn't have helped him, but it'll be a start to help woodworkers in the future.

He's been woodworking for at least 40 years but just had a moment of carelessness. I'll certainly go and make comments that support requiring safety features. Thanks for posting that.

Anyone have the link to the page to leave comments?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-07-2011 at 6:51 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There's also the chance that the economy of scale will force the cost of the technology down. There is a market for $99 table saws that won't disappear. SawStop appears to make a really nice saw with an innovative safety feature. They're the first but it doesn't mean they have the best solution.

I love old machines, but if I had the cash I would probably get an SS machine.

Only likely when a competing technology is available. Unfortunately the manufacturers of all saws have ignored innovation for cheap labor and cutting cost for many years as a way to more profitability and this type of an event might be inevitable. As a novice whose had a serious accident and who traded up for a Powermatic T66 afterwards, I now find it ridiculous in that in the mid 90's Powermatic did not know what a riving knife was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Slimp View Post
    There's also the chance that the economy of scale will force the cost of the technology down. There is a market for $99 table saws that won't disappear. SawStop appears to make a really nice saw with an innovative safety feature. They're the first but it doesn't mean they have the best solution.

I love old machines, but if I had the cash I would probably get an SS machine.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 10-07-2011 at 7:45 PM.

Bad idea.
    Anyone who wants to buy a "safe" saw can do so today - just go buy a Saw Stop equipped saw.
    This is a perfect example of what we don't need any more of in the U.S. - more regulation and a higher cost to consumers who don't want it.
    Please write and tell them "No".

On the other hand, if you own an interest in Saw Stop, maybe this is a great idea!!
    And lobby for it!
    http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/cli...1330&year=2011
    http://reporting.sunlightfoundation.com/lobbying/client/saw-stop-llc

http://reporting.sunlightfoundation.com/lobbying/firm/cuneo-waldman-gilbert/D5C209DF-8426-4508-94F3-5F1D2A9CFCDD

http://www.cuneolaw.com/lawyers/pamela_gilbert.php
    Last edited by Henry Ambrose; 10-07-2011 at 8:24 PM.

I entered to win one of the sawstops free drawings. Then they pestered my local woodcraft to leave messages on my phone trying to make a sale. I literally walked into my woodcraft a week later and the woodcraft manager started talking to me about sawstop.

Sawstop is sort of like when they introduced seatbelts on motor vehicles. The law can't enforce everyone to use them, especially motorcyclists.

I see SS on Rough Cut with Tommy mac, I see SS on closed threads on forums, and I don't really like to eat hot dogs that much now either.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    On the other hand, if you own an interest in Saw Stop, maybe this is a great idea!!
    Maybe in the short term, but maybe not. If saw stop looses the exclusivity of the stopping tech, a short term gain of liscensing fees may end up being all of the money that they see. If Powermatic, Delta, Griz, etc. have similar technology, who would you buy from? I would choose a company with a long term history of product support. And the liscensing fees only would last a limited time. tick tock tick tock!

I think it's great.

Also, the format style sliding table saw with the arm mounted guard/dust collector is worlds ahead of the sawstop, in my opinion, for safety. It puts your hands very far away from the blade, and collects the dust much more effectively. What good are your fingers if your lungs are gone.

I've often wondered how many table saw accidents would be avoided by NOT removing the blade guard?
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Here's a great Milton friedman video from the 80's.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=6#

While we are throwing blame we should save some for ourselves. In part due to the threat of lawsuit, companies can not offer safety devices as an option and give us the choice. I would like the option of upgrading the brakes in my vehicles rather than removing and replacing them. Doesn't happen because offering that option is an admission that the stock brakes are inadequate. I would much prefer a choice from each company whether of not to purchase the SS. I probably would if someone manufactured a new saw of real quality. Forcing the issue may make the technology better. I'm surprised the Euros aren't mandating this. They are even more regulatory minded than we are. I could feel better about the mandates if people could not cash in for doing stupid stuff by a jury that doesn't have to pass any tests for competence. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Fred, that's a big assumption.Just for the sake of discussion, how about a non removable guard of some description?They are looking for alternate solutions, and I predict it will be not very expensive............Rod.
    Rod - I believe the wording means they will enforce some sort of flesh detection and blade stopping technology. A blade guard just wouldn't cut it.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.