Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchasing 5 gallons of Denatured Alcohol

Scott - I called our local Sherwin Williams and the sales person said they cant even order it.

Philip - I'll have to try Svilands. I have not heard of them.

Phil - I hadnt considered the concentration. I had ordered 5 gallons of S-L-X last year from Ace and it seemed to work fine. I just bought 2 gallons from Menards to get by for now - Sunny side or something like that.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I wish I could find DA so cheap. The cheapest I have managed is $10 a gal but that is in a 55 gallon drum.

I do see it for cheaper on the web, but we are back to the shipping issue.

Also all DA are not alike. Some contain to 45 percent methanol (e.g. Klean Strip SLX) which is pretty nasty and I am trying now to avoid (even though it is much cheaper). And the 55 barrel I bought turns out is over 6 percent water.
    Last edited by Bill Luce; 10-10-2011 at 9:01 PM.

For Phil Harold

Sorry I didn't reply earlier - haven't tried the "Meths" yet - getting a bowl blank ready is taking too long - will try a piece of scrap pine to test the colour change. Let you know when it's soaked / stored, and dried!

For Phil - a quick update.

I've put two bowl blanks in Meths on 1/11/11, one in newspaper, and a hole in it, the other in shavings and wrapped in paper and a sealed bag. Weighed them both tonight to start recording weight loss. I'll see when they're dry as to whether the colour has leached into the wood, and let you know how they went!