Thread: Cabinet door design

Cabinet door design

As I mentioned in another post about dovetails, I'm starting on a wall hung tool cabinet. Since all projects begin with design of one sort or another, here is my first attempt.

I am very limited in wall space. I have a space 18 inches wide, by as tall as I want, floor to ceiling. I'm thinking that 18 X36 will give me enough room and not be too tall or require me to stoop to get something. This will be for hand tools--chisels, layout, brace/bit, dovetailsaw,etc., but probably not hand planes.

Since I don't have a drawing program, here is my hand drawn plan scanned in. Since this is narrow, I drew 2 doors, which I would like to be raised panel. The stiles are only 1 1/2 inches, which seemed too narrow until I drew them, but look proportional to the height of the doors, at least to me.

Any thoughts on the proportions? Other ideas, comments, critiques, questions? Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Stutz; 02-27-2005 at 10:40 PM.

You do not mention anything about what sort of shelves and how high off the floor it is. This could have impact on seeing and accessing tools.

Have you seen woodworking at home DVD on their wall cabinets? They designed some that are accessed sideways so the "shelves" pull out. This makes everything easier to access.

I am also going to be designing one but not yet ready to start that. My problem is it is over a workbench so it has to be high but that makes it harder to reach. I will stay tuned to this thread and see what comes out.

Robert,
    This will be directly behind me when I'm standing at the bench. The knobs will be at about eye level so everything should be within reach easily. Will be about 6" deep. No shelves planned--tools will be on customized hangers--maybe a couple small drawers at the bottom.

Don't get that DVD , but looks like I'm going to have to start. Pull out shelves wouldn't really work in my situation.

Mark

Mark,

Your proportions are very good! If you widdenthe stile, change the rails proportionatly....
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,

I think you're in good shape...unless you want to use cup hinges, then you may want to consider making the stiles and rails a bit beefier, say 2 or 2-1/4.

Keith